We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese in a box Long island

Glasgow, United...
2 posts
Chinese in a box Long island

Right here goes - I'm coming to New York with my GF in December. It'll be her first trip to the states let alone New York. She has been asking me if we can get some chinese takeout food in boxes like she sees in the films(Don't ask, I really don't know why she wants to!). I've got no idea what to say to her. Pleaase help!!! We'll be staying in 13th Street, Long Island City, NY, USA . Thanks in advance for the help!

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,292 Reviews
from US$89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
555 Reviews
from US$34.00*
27 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,494 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Chinese in a box Long island

1) this request is quite common.☺️

2) You are staying in Long Island CITY which is part of NYC in Queens. This is the Long Island forum, a somewhat different place.

3) most places only use the white boxes now for rice or maybe dumpling. But if you get take away from most any place, they include a free box of white rice. Remove some of it and put in some of your other food in the box.😉

Looking on Google maps for Chinese in Long Island City, a place called Friendly looks to be the best near your hotel. Address

12-05 40th Ave, Long Island City, NY 11101

Edited: 05 September 2018, 22:12
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
18,092 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Chinese in a box Long island

I agree that you will have a hard time finding the old fashioned decorated Chinese take out boxes in restaurants. Most restaurants will give you a 2 piece generic clamshell with perhaps a plain white Chinese take out box for the rice,

You might want to check a gift shop like Fish Eddy's to see if they sell empty decorated take out boxes.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
19,250 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Chinese in a box Long island

**She has been asking me if we can get some chinese takeout food in boxes like she sees in the films(Don't ask, I really don't know why she wants to!).**

She just wants the boxes?

Walk into just about any Chinese place and ask them for 2-3 boxes and offer them some $.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
18,092 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Chinese in a box Long island

I just Googled Chinese takeout boxes & there are very few outlets that sell the white boxes with Chinese characters like in the movies. You'll find the boxes but they tend to be in colors without any Chinese characters on them.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
19,250 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Chinese in a box Long island

The regular white boxes are used in many takeout Chinese places around the city. Just ask for a few and pay them.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
40,837 posts
39 reviews
6. Re: Chinese in a box Long island

Effective January 2019 styrofoam will be illegal in NYC. since the clamshell boxes are styrofoam, traditional cardboard boxes may make a comeback.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
75 reviews
7. Re: Chinese in a box Long island

Most of our Chinese take out come in "tin" containers with cardboard lids.

You may find these "cardboard" boxes in paper/partyware shops like Paper Presentation in the Flatiron or Michaels. Amazon?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,493 posts
31 reviews
8. Re: Chinese in a box Long island

Hayley:

Can you get fish n chips wrapped in newspaper anymore in the UK?

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
18,092 posts
28 reviews
9. Re: Chinese in a box Long island

As I said, I Googled Chinese takeout boxes & didn't find many, if any, of the white boxes with the red lettering & pictures like in the old time. It's very easy to find Chinese take out boxes in any party goods store but the OP will probably find they are in solid colors, not printed. It doesn't sound like it would be expensive to get the printed boxes as opposed to the solid color ones but, when a restaurant buys in bulk, it can add up.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
19,250 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: Chinese in a box Long island

^

I do get that. But the OP didn't really say that the Chinese lettering was a requirement.

If not, like I suggested, just about any take out location will probably have them. I had some takeout Chinese last Thursday evening and some of my food came in the pint boxes(they also have quart sizes.)

Reply to: Chinese in a box Long island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted