We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you find magical in Boston?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,782 posts
67 reviews
What do you find magical in Boston?

I stole this idea from the NYC forum.

What is something you find "magical" about Boston. Maybe a tourist attraction, maybe not ... just something special.

For me it is when the tulips bloom in the Public Garden. It just screams "spring has arrived in Boston"

And ... Boston Common in the snow!

Here is the similar NYC thread: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763…

30 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: What do you find magical in Boston?

Great topic!

The flowering trees along Commonwealth Ave and Back Bay side streets in the spring; Christmas lights on the Boston Common; standing high on a hill at Castle Island, watching the USS Constitution coming down the harbor from its berth with the Boston fireboat in front, spraying water....can't see those sites elsewhere.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: What do you find magical in Boston?

For sure the Magnolia trees in bloom in the Back Bay. The Boston Common lit up for Christmas. Beacon Hill by gaslight. The Commonwealth Avenue Mall, the view of Downtown Boston skyline and the Zakim bridge at night, coming over the Tobin Bridge from Chelsea. Kids crawling all over the Make Way for Ducklings statue in the Public Garden. The reflection of Trinity Church in the "200 Clarendon St." building (AKA and forever known to everyone as the John Hancock Building).

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,767 posts
1 review
3. Re: What do you find magical in Boston?

Fenway during a game.

The view from Longfellow bridge on a nice day.

and from the past; The old Garden for Bruins and Celtics playoff games and the Beanpot.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,782 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: What do you find magical in Boston?

Great responses and the Back Bay references reminded me of another ... strolling the residential streets of the Back Bay in December and seeing Christmas Trees in the front windows!

conn
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
175 reviews
5. Re: What do you find magical in Boston?

Only Magical thing about Boston would be the swan boats in the Public Garden every thing else is pretty much historical or interesting but not really magical.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
67 reviews
6. Re: What do you find magical in Boston?

I always find it interesting when someone feels the need to respond to a question or a forum post or whatever it is, by saying they don't have a real answer. Wouldn't it be better just to move on to the next item?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,782 posts
67 reviews
7. Re: What do you find magical in Boston?

I don't TheSnowman ... I find flowering trees in the city and freshly fallen snow pretty magical.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,767 posts
1 review
8. Re: What do you find magical in Boston?

I always imagined the Swan Boats would be a blast if you could use them like bumper-cars, but just a tacky tourist thing as they are.

I find fresh snow magical too.......but if this thread happens to get revived in late February I'll probably have a drastically different opinion. Sounds good in the middle of August though.

Seriously though, the first real snow fall and ground covering is definitely magical in Boston to me. I always go for a long long walk during or right after the first snow of any significance and it's always special even after like 25 years of doing it. I'm pretty much all set with snow in Boston after New Years though.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
183 reviews
9. Re: What do you find magical in Boston?

Bumper car swan boats! That's funny, Hank. I love them just as they are--and have for many decades!

Taking us to another season, walking around Jamaica Pond in the fall is magical for me. Beautiful foliage, some color reflected in the pond, and the sound of leaves beneath my feet.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: What do you find magical in Boston?

Walking up from the concourse and getting your first view of Fenway Park.

Standing in Paul Revere's house. THE Paul Revere! Or more serendipitous for me: finding that marker on the sidewalk where he saw the lanterns.

Sitting in a window seat in the North End when the window boxes are in full bloom.

Taking kids from a small town to Boston.

The bumper-boat Swan boats thing would be really fun!

Reply to: What do you find magical in Boston?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted