We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip

Hobart, Indiana
Level Contributor
132 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
Day Trip
Save

We will be in Seattle next month and we’re considering doing a day trip to Friday Harbor. I understand there is a ferry directly from Seattle? Is this correct and if so what are the pros and cons of doing this instead of driving to Anacondas and then taking the ferry from there. Is doing this trip even doable as a day trip from Seattle or is this too much without staying the night in Friday Harbor?

5 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Senior Travel
Level Contributor
23,423 posts
120 reviews
246 helpful votes
1. Re: Day Trip
Save

its a long day but doable. Sept sunsets are earlier than if you did this earlier but it could still work. The ferry from Anacortes to me is more scenic and you can walk around. The clipper is sort of like a plane and you do get views but not the same

clippervacations.com

Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
98 reviews
69 helpful votes
2. Re: Day Trip
Save

I know you are planning to be in Port Townsend at least part of your trip. Why not drive Mt. Rainier to Port Townsend and then take Puget Sound Express from there round trip to Friday Harbor as a day trip. On return, drive the 70 minute distance to Port Angeles.

https://www.pugetsoundexpress.com/

Hobart, Indiana
Level Contributor
132 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
3. Re: Day Trip
Save

On their site it says the ferry gets into Friday Harbor for lunch and then leaves back for port Townsend between 1:00 and 3:30 pm. So logistically we might only be in Friday Harbor for an hour. That was my only reservation about doing this.

Sequim, Washington
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
98 reviews
69 helpful votes
4. Re: Day Trip
Save

It is usually at least two hours and that it enough for lunch and to explore Friday Harbor. You will have a chance to enjoy scenery thoughout the San Juans and to probably see whales.

Hobart, Indiana
Level Contributor
132 posts
8 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Day Trip
Save

Ok cool I think we will do this, thank you for the info. We will be right by Port Townsend on our last day. This will be perfect!!!

Reply to: Day Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Juan Islands
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.