We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coastal property suggestion

valbonne
6 posts
1 review
coastal property suggestion

My family and I live in Colorado and are looking to buy a second home/investment property along the coast. We are thinking of Texas because we could drive there if we don't want to fly. Can anyone suggest an area good for a family with young children (5 yrs. & 3 months) with nice beaches? Our budget is around $300,000 max., any suggestion? We don't need to be in a trendy area, just family oriented with a nice beach and low crime rate is all we need.

I have done some research and Corpus Christi seems to be cheaper than South Padre Island and Galveston, why is that? Are the beaches there not as nice?

We don't know Texas at all so any suggestions/hints/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Houston, TX
8 posts
1 review
1. Re: coastal property suggestion

I would go with South Padre; the water is so much nicer there and you have Schlitterbahn Water Park. Don't think you'll be happy with the water or sand in Corpus or Galveston.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: coastal property suggestion

Galveston & S. Padre are more tourist areas, hence the higher prices. S. Padre probably has the best beaches but check out Port Aransas & Rockport. They are close enough to that region to allow you to enjoy some cleaner water.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: coastal property suggestion

oh one more thing, Galveston does NOT have a low crime rate. However, not sure if need to be on a beach or if the bay is good. If so, you might try Clear Lake, Seabrook, Kemah, League City - all have property along Galveston Bay where you can enjoy great boating, watersports, etc. And the open waterway you can get in your boat (if you have one) and go straight into the Gulf.

But if a beach is a must, then look farther down the coast. Port Aransas is a fairly small coastal town I would imagine it has a low crime rate. Between Corpus & S. Padre

Texas Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
28 posts
4. Re: coastal property suggestion

I agree with all of the above.... especially about the differences between big towns, tourist places and the condition of the beach. Bear in mind, there is a difference between living "on the beach" and in a waterfront community near the beach. Most housing on the beach/waterfront are second homes, couples, etc. There's plenty of neighborhoods close enough to the waterfront/beach for day excursions.

I like the smaller communities, also, just north of Corpus Christi - for fishing. They are wonderful communities.... Rockport, Pt. Aransas, Aransas Pass - for fishing. (Don't know anything about their schools though. I had a friend that said Port Aransas & Aransas Pass was not a great place to raise a family because of too much tourism.) And that area is on the boom! Your property, if you buy now, will probably triple in value in the next 15 years.

Also, consider the Brazosport Area in Brazoria County. With your budget, you should easily find very nice housing. Your money will buy a lot more in Brazosport than it will in Kemah or Seabrook. It won't be "on the beach"... only minutes away from Surfside & Bryan Beach. Houston is less than an hour commute, Galveston the same.

It's only my opinion as a mother of young-uns: don't buy a home on stilts (pilings).

5. Re: coastal property suggestion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 14:18
Get answers to your questions about Sugar Land