We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

want to move to Sugar land from CA

California
1 post
Save Topic
want to move to Sugar land from CA

We are tired of the expensive living in Bay area of CA, and are considering move to other more affordable city but with nice lifestyle, good school district, safe communities, and Sugar Land seems meet these criterias, But my only concern is the weather, I know it is hot, but since I never been there, I dont know how it feels like? Do you have to turn on the air conditioner as long as you stay home? I guess we might be able to get used to the hot for the time being. My biggest fear is Tornado. If you are sugar land residence, do you need to concern the tornado might damage your house? I saw a lot of newly build house in Sugar Land, are there house Tornoda tolerance?

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,375 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: want to move to Sugar land from CA

Living in the Bay area, you have been spoiled by the temperatures. It is HOT here, and add the humidity to the temperature and it can get quite miserable. I love the heat, and would take it anytime over cold weather. I would say you use the A/C about 9 months out of the year, especially from May-October. We do have tornado weather, but not the extremes that you here about in the Midwest, and therefore homes are not tornado resistant.

Texas
Level Contributor
323 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: want to move to Sugar land from CA

All of Texas is very hot and you will be using your air conditioning alot from April to October. Houston is more humid than Austin and Dallas. The temperatures in Houston tend to be slightly lower than the other big cities b/c it's closer to the water - but that also makes it more humid, which makes the temperature seem higher than it is.

I'm not sure what your price range is for your house, but Sugarland/Missouri City area is nice and the schools are supposed to be pretty good. Have you considered the Austin area? I only say that because the western part of Austin is the only big city in Texas that would even vaguely resemble the Bay Area - there are hills, lots of trees and water. Housing is more expensive in Austin though. Houston has some of the cheapest housing costs in Texas.

Texas
Level Contributor
323 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: want to move to Sugar land from CA

I forgot to mention about the tornados. You absolutely do not need to worry about tornados around here. Yes, they happen but very infrequently. I have lived in this area of the country for 28 years and have never seen a tornado.

Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
985 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: want to move to Sugar land from CA

Wasn't there a tornado off of Airport road in November of 2003? I remember the company I was working at the time down there suffered substantial damage.

Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
985 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: want to move to Sugar land from CA

Oh, yea. I am from Chicago. One thing I noticed about living and working in Texas is that despite it being 100+ degrees outside with the humidity, they love to crank the AC. Rooms are often at 68 degrees down there and are cool. That was the biggest difference for me. I thought it was just because I was in the IT industry working in server rooms, but the hotels and other places had the AC cranked too.

One thing that really suprised me about the area was the diversity. There was a lot more asian people that I expected. I guess some one told me that Houston has the larges settlement of people from Vietnam outside of Vietnam.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
7,085 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: want to move to Sugar land from CA

Per tornadoes, don't get the idea that they DON'T exist there. There are certainly more than the Bay Area, but no where near as many as other parts of the country. The outer rings of Houston tend to get hit though. I can recall several tornadoes on the southwest side of town, and have never gotten closer to one than when I lived on the north side as a kid (had to get under the desks). In Houston, you mainly have to worry about the flooding though. Lots of crazy storms there as well. You're more likely to get hail damage than tornado damage.

Sugar Land is a center of Houston's Chinese/Taiwanese population, but also has a significant number of Indians and Pakistanis living within. This started because of the school district's (Fort Bend ISD) reputation, I believe.

But, yes, it's a great area, but it's not a great drive. US 59/Southwest Freeway is one of the worst. I have a friend living out there who works Downtown though who comes in on the park & ride bus and she loves it.

hth

Texas
Level Contributor
323 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: want to move to Sugar land from CA

did not mean to suggest that Tornados do not exist here - but it's like.... well... getting killed by an earthquake in California. I would think even less likely than that, if that puts in an equal for you... It does happen - but it's not something that we have to "worry about" all the time by any means.

Sugar Land, TX
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: want to move to Sugar land from CA

I moved to sugar land from Bay area in CA last Jan. The weather was hot, but you will get used to it as I did already.

The electric bill goes up linearly proportional to the temperature. Last year, I had to pay over $300/mo from Apr. to Sep. However, this year is a lot better. Up to now I paid only $140 for May.

Houses are a lot cheaper here -- My one-story house is only 230K, but it's 2700sqft. with 10K lot. And it's only 10 yrs old.

Bad things: Although the house price is low but the property tax rate is quite high: from 2.5% to 3.7%, depending on how new your house is. If you have a pretty high pay job then it's ok. Because you don't pay state tax, and that might be able to cover the property tax already.

Another problem is the mosquitoes, bugs in the back yard. Sugar Land has lots of grass playgrounds, and it's the perfect living place for human, as well as mosquitoes. I have lived in CA for more than 15 years and I hadn't got one mosquito bite. However, now everytime I stepped out to have a cigarette, I get one or two bites.

I haven't seen any tornadoes. I had a friend who lived here for over 30 years, he said all these years tornado only touched down once. The problem is the storm comes with the tornado. There are a lot of flooding zoom in Houston area. Fortunately Sugar Land is not one of them.

Sugar Land, TX
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: want to move to Sugar land from CA

Actually, as a clarification to the earlier post, it was the Chinese / Taiwanese community that built the Sugar Land school districts to what they are today. When I attended the Fort Bend ISD back in the 80's, the school was only considered so-so, now with the large influx of Asians who emphasize education, Clements had 3 students out of 19 admitted to Harvard for the 2012 graduating class. That is more than the 2 out of 29 applicants from Bellaire high school, one of the top 3 public schools in the state. This in turn has raised the property values in Sugar Land in the last few years.

10. Re: want to move to Sugar land from CA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 13:25
Get answers to your questions about Sugar Land