We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unpaved Roads…..

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
Unpaved Roads…..
Save

So we are in Rapid City right now.

And yesterday we drove from Cheyenne Crossing to Rapid City. About 15 miles or so on unpaved, narrow roads. Not a fun experience at all.

Question: any unpaved roads in Custer Park, Crazy Horse, Hot Springs ?

We are planning to drive on Needles Hwy and Iron Mountain Roads. Any part of this is unpaved?

Thanks

10 replies to this topic
The Black Hills...
Level Contributor
6,037 posts
1. Re: Unpaved Roads…..
Save

Needles and Iron Mountain are both paved as are the other important roads in CSP

How did you end up on an unpaved road? Following your GPS? Never a good idea, especially after heavy rains.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
2. Re: Unpaved Roads…..
Save

The first unpaved road we ended up was in Badlands…Sage Creek Rim Rd…but we turned around right away.

Next unpaved was on the way to Roosevelt Friendship Tower…this road was absolutely horrible. We made a u turn and turned back.

We were following GPS for most of the time, where internet is available, but not sure how to tell paved roads from gravel roads?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
3. Re: Unpaved Roads…..
Save

11 miles on North Rochford Road, after Cheyenne Crossing. 20 MPH…what a road

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington, Washington DC
Level Contributor
18,153 posts
138 reviews
290 helpful votes
4. Re: Unpaved Roads…..
Save

Sounds like you need to get a road map. You should be able to find them for free (or a nominal charge) at various places in the BH. They can also be found online. Road maps show which roads are paved and which are not in addition to lots of other useful information. We never travel without one.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
5. Re: Unpaved Roads…..
Save

I check Google maps in the hotel, take notes on the routes and roads, just in case there in no internet along the way, but I could not tell if roads are paved or not.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
708 posts
63 reviews
18 helpful votes
6. Re: Unpaved Roads…..
Save

Sadly, you should have kept going on Sage Creek Rim Rd as it would have taken you to Roberts Prairie Dog Town and likely some views of the Badlands buffalo herd as they hang out in that area. As wonderful as modern technology is, your experience proves it is far from perfect and never to be solely relied upon.

8 posts
7. Re: Unpaved Roads…..
Save

I second Dave M. We were there 2 weeks ago and drove the whole Sage Creek Road in a brand new Crosstrek. You go through Scenic, a real ghost town. It was soo eerie to stop "downtown" and walk around on the old wooden storefronts (watch your step). There's actually 3-4 mobile homes there and a post office! Why is a PO there? In less than 2 minutes, we watched the temp go from 101 - 111 in the middle! It's really not that bad, I drove 45-50 on some parts. Also followed one lone bison along the road for a while, just us and him.:)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,431 posts
8. Re: Unpaved Roads…..
Save

Dave, that was the plan, to get to Robert Prairie Town, but if the only way is by the gravel road, I’m not doing it. As much as I like to take photos, I’m not driving on a road I’m not comfortable with. And I’m not sure how modern technology would’ve helped.

I turned onto a road I’m not ready to drive on, so I’m turning back.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
181 posts
6 reviews
21 helpful votes
9. Re: Unpaved Roads…..
Save

Custer State Park has some dirt roads you are allowed to drive on. But main Wildlife loop is paved. The rangers at the visitor center said if you cannot see bison from the main loop road then maybe try a dirt road. Luckily we saw a large gathering two weeks ago at Wildlife Visitor Center.

Maybe we got lucky, but we did not see any of the planned road construction in Custer State park back on Aug. 17.

The Black Hills...
Level Contributor
6,037 posts
10. Re: Unpaved Roads…..
Save

Scenic has a post office because it supports a large rural area. It's not really a ghost town even though it looks like one. Most likely someone was watching as you walked around downtown. It's owned by a christian religious group.

https://globalnation.inquirer.net/34205/south-dakota-ghost-town-now-owned-by-iglesia-ni-cristo

Reply to: Unpaved Roads…..
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rapid City
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.