We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Post-Sturgis COVID outbreak

Brookline...
Level Contributor
669 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
Post-Sturgis COVID outbreak
Save

Hi! I've just heard that there's been a surge of COVID cases in the area due to the Sturgis motorcycle festival. I'm going to be arriving in Rapid City September 23rd. Should I reconsider the trip? I'm fully vaccinated and will have tons of masks. I will try to eat outdoors at restaurants if possible.

I had planned to do the Buffalo Roundup when I was there (the rest of it is going to various national parks and Mt. Rushmore). However, I'm a bit worried about the crowds at the Buffalo Roundup given what's happened.

23 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington, Washington DC
Level Contributor
18,157 posts
138 reviews
290 helpful votes
1. Re: Post-Sturgis COVID outbreak
Save

Everyone has his/her own comfort level. What I would be willing or not willing to do may differ greatly from you. I suggest you look at the CDC recommendations and your own situation and do what feels right for you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
2. Re: Post-Sturgis COVID outbreak
Save

I don’t have an answer for you, but my take would be that since you are vaccinated, you should be fine. If you notice, the rising cases are mostly kids or the unvaccinated.

The Black Hills...
Level Contributor
6,040 posts
3. Re: Post-Sturgis COVID outbreak
Save

Don't worry about it. We aren't and we live here. More typical "fun with numbers" that the press likes to do.

Wonder how much they'll blame on Kool Deadwood Nites this weekend. And the Sturgis Steam Show that was last weekend.

Edited: 27 August 2021, 05:25
Warrington...
Level Contributor
205 posts
16 reviews
21 helpful votes
4. Re: Post-Sturgis COVID outbreak
Save

It all depends on your risk tolerance. You will be traveling to a place in the country where, for better or worse, most people are less worried about COVID than in some other places . I was in South and North Dakota few weeks ago and most people did not seem to care much about COVID. At least this was my personal observation.

Wearing mask won't provide significant protection if others don't wear them, and the vaccine efficacy apparently significantly decreases over time, apparently especially against Delta. So if you had your vaccine earlier in the spring and if you catch Delta, there is a chance you can get seriously sick. However, on the other hand, you will probably spend most of your time outdoors where the virus does not spread as easily, But the risk is there and it seems to be pretty high, in my opinion.

it is very interesting to travel to various places and see different reaction to COVID. .. We went to Yellowstone in June where nobody wore masks, we then traveled to Portugal where EVERYBODY wore masks and you had to show vaccine certificate to eat in a restaurant, and we then flew to Dakotas where it was exactly opposite and few people seemed to care about COVID.

It is a tough choice. I personally would go .

Edited: 27 August 2021, 08:48
NewJersey
Level Contributor
484 posts
36 reviews
25 helpful votes
5. Re: Post-Sturgis COVID outbreak
Save

Interesting the press did not give the coverage to the outbreak on Marthas's vineyard, Nancy's Napa fundraiser in Napa, or the concerts in Chicago or Central Park. So much wide open space in South Dakota. No idea how "crowded" the Buffalo Roundup" is, but wont most your time be spent outdoors?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington, Washington DC
Level Contributor
18,157 posts
138 reviews
290 helpful votes
6. Re: Post-Sturgis COVID outbreak
Save

Of course, there wouldn’t have to be a discussion about any of this in any location if people just did the right thing and got vaccinated.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
109 posts
4 reviews
13 helpful votes
7. Re: Post-Sturgis COVID outbreak
Save

As others have said, people's risk tolerance varies wildly, so it's hard to say. Personally, I would probably go, as so many of the attractions in SD are outdoors. But I would not eat indoors.

Saxton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
89 posts
50 reviews
25 helpful votes
8. Re: Post-Sturgis COVID outbreak
Save

Question for Longhorn, I may be wrong but I thought vaccinated people could still get and spread Covid.

The Black Hills...
Level Contributor
6,040 posts
9. Re: Post-Sturgis COVID outbreak
Save

Ye they can. Just had a good friend in Arizona die from it and, not only was he vaccinated, he and his wife had both had mild case last year.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
109 posts
4 reviews
13 helpful votes
10. Re: Post-Sturgis COVID outbreak
Save

Vaccinated people can get COVID, particularly now with the Delta variant, but they are much less likely to than non-vaccinated people. Similarly, they can spread it, but are less likely to, which seems to be because of both lesser and shorter viral load.

Reply to: Post-Sturgis COVID outbreak
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rapid City
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.