We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking to PNC Park from downtown

Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
175 posts
37 reviews
24 helpful votes
Walking to PNC Park from downtown
Save

Attending a Pirates game in July and just discovered the Roberto Clemente Bridge is close for renovations through next year. Was really looking forward to walking to the stadium from our downtown hotel. Is the Andy Warhol bridge a viable substitute? Or should I look for a hotel on the Stadium side of the river?

9 replies to this topic
Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
50 reviews
16 helpful votes
1. Re: Walking to PNC Park from downtown
Save

"Bicycle and pedestrian traffic will be detoured using Fort Duquesne Boulevard, the Andy Warhol Bridge and Isabella Street."

This is from an article explaining the closure and alternative routes.

Level Contributor
2,675 posts
8 reviews
28 helpful votes
2. Re: Walking to PNC Park from downtown
Save

Walk via Warhol or just take the T light rail- it's free between the stadiums and downtown.

Edited: 13 May 2022, 02:08
Clairton...
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
22 reviews
32 helpful votes
3. Re: Walking to PNC Park from downtown
Save

It's an easy walk using the Warhol Bridge, the detour is only another block on each side. That said...which hotel have you chosen? If you are on the upper side of Penn Avenue, the Rachel Carson might be another choice. (if you look at Google Maps, the three bridges are literally side-by-side.) But, there is no need to change hotels.

Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Walking to PNC Park from downtown
Save

As long as rain isn’t in the forecast the “detour walk” to the stadium isn’t bad.

dublin, ireland
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Walking to PNC Park from downtown
Save

Hi Joesupra,

We recently stayed in the Hyatt North Shore. Walking was a doddle - either Downtown or across to the Duquesne Incline. In fact (for the craic) on the day of the Pittsburgh marathon I got the metro from Wood St to North Shore and my brother walked to the hotel and he got there before me.

S.

Edited: 17 May 2022, 18:24
CT
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
8 helpful votes
6. Re: Walking to PNC Park from downtown
Save

Is the Hampton Inn on Smallman St walkable to PNC and safe?

Clairton...
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
22 reviews
32 helpful votes
7. Re: Walking to PNC Park from downtown
Save

Yes, not a bad walk, or "iffy" one at all. I would just suggest walking over one block after you cross the bridge and take Penn Avenue until you are at the far end of the Convention Center, then turn left on 11th, one block then turn right onto Smallman. It's not that it's a bad area at all, but the walk up Penn will be a lot livelier and brighter than staying along the river.... UNLESS, you have a big crowd at the game, and you will be with others...it's just rather dark in spots

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
315 posts
57 reviews
16 helpful votes
8. Re: Walking to PNC Park from downtown
Save

Yes, that walk is fine -- it's about a mile if that is okay for you. Although there is a slightly more direct route. I would agree with the other commenter who suggested you walk down Penn Avenue. You can walk down Ft. Duquesne Blvd. but there's not much happening there so it will appear more creepy just because there will be a lack of people. Penn Avenue is fun -- lots of bars and restaurants with outdoor seating. More people watching.

CT
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
8 helpful votes
9. Re: Walking to PNC Park from downtown
Save

Thanks to comments number 7 and 8, appreciate the advice

Reply to: Walking to PNC Park from downtown
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pittsburgh
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.