We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend visit

4 posts
Weekend visit
Save

Quick weekend trip, need some guidance on what areas of Pittsburgh to stay away from (high crime area). Thx

6 replies to this topic
Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
37 reviews
85 helpful votes
1. Re: Weekend visit
Save

Do you know where you'll be staying, and the activities you want to do? You're not likely to be in a high crime area.

If you have not yet picked a location, then recommendations are going to vary depending on what you plan to do. Downtown is quite safe and compact, and central to other neighborhoods, so you won't be far from things at any of those hotels.

4 posts
2. Re: Weekend visit
Save

No hotel reserv yet, looked today, wanna go to the strip district and the botanical gardens

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
37 reviews
85 helpful votes
3. Re: Weekend visit
Save

We have two things with "botanical gardens" in the name, I learned just now when I googled it. The Pittsburgh Botanic Gardens which is a few miles out side of town, a mostly-outdoors large scale gardens, and the Phipps Conservatory, a mostly indoor conservatory in the Oakland neighborhood. If it's Phipps you're going to, then a hotel in Oakland could be within walking distance, and would also be close to the Carnegie Museums of Art and Natural History. The Strip District is fun, not within walking distance of Oakland though.

Danville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
61 posts
4. Re: Weekend visit
Save

Just to add - we are also traveling in this weekend and I booked Phipps yesterday... for Saturday, the earliest availability was already at 3pm, I think Sunday is up in the afternoon also but I don't know what the exact time was.

4 posts
5. Re: Weekend visit
Save

Thx. I think Phipps is the one I looked at, just getting started in planning. Going in about 6 weeks. Let me now how it is plz

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
3,687 posts
2,867 reviews
57,456 helpful votes
6. Re: Weekend visit
Save

watch saying high crime areas, as many members will get upset if their areas are mentioned. everything you mentioned is within easy driving distance, its the high parking . i live near west newton and think nothing of driving in and out and i am 68 years old.

Reply to: Weekend visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pittsburgh
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.