We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best smogasboard for healthy food

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
324 posts
26 reviews
48 helpful votes
Best smogasboard for healthy food
Save

My family would like to visit a Pennsylvania Dutch smogasboard while we are in the Lancaster area. I remember a prior visit years ago to be a lot of processed food and a little greasy and heavy. We usually eat minimally processed, homemade organic food. I realize smorgasbord is an exception and will not be health food, but which one has the most high quality foods?

10 replies to this topic
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
4,020 posts
22 reviews
20 helpful votes
1. Re: Best smogasboard for healthy food
Save

well that's a difficult call

I i would say probably Millers You might look at their soup salad and bread buffet which is avaialble for a lower price

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
4,020 posts
22 reviews
20 helpful votes
2. Re: Best smogasboard for healthy food
Save

PS for something closer to 'farm to table' you might look at John Jeffries in Lancaster city. They pride themselves on using local ingredients and some of the menu items are at least Pennsylvania Dutch inspired

(

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
324 posts
26 reviews
48 helpful votes
3. Re: Best smogasboard for healthy food
Save

Thanks for the advice. John Jeffries does indeed look like somewhere we would be interested in visiting.

My 12 year old has "all you can eat buffet" on his bucket list, though. We don't have them at all where we live so we will still be doing a smogasboard once!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
3,997 reviews
54,748 helpful votes
4. Re: Best smogasboard for healthy food
Save

We liked Shady Maple but unless your having a salad with grilled chicken with oil & vinegar - be prepared for a cheat day.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
4,020 posts
22 reviews
20 helpful votes
5. Re: Best smogasboard for healthy food
Save

Well if this is a 12 years old's bucket list item then definitely Shady Maple

They have a 200 foot long buffet, seating for 1000

It will certainly be memorable for them

Plus the shear variety of items may somewhat increase the chance of your finding acceptable food

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
42 reviews
15 helpful votes
6. Re: Best smogasboard for healthy food
Save

Do a you tube search for Yankee in the south. They are out of Pigeon Forge, Tenn but in the last couple of days they have had a video of the Shady Maple and review.

Last year when we where in the area we had lunch at Dienner's Country Restaurant and really liked it.

If you do a search for Hershey Swap meet, October" in the Hershey forums there is some good information on the Lancaster area which I received last year before my trip.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
4,020 posts
22 reviews
20 helpful votes
7. Re: Best smogasboard for healthy food
Save

We like Dienner's too but it is a smaller buffet and does not have the WOW factor your 12 year old may want

It also has probably the fewest healthy food options- Its almost all high calorie and high starch options with sugary deserts- what to us Pennsylvania Dutch is 'comfort food'

Myerstown...
Level Contributor
733 posts
430 reviews
191 helpful votes
8. Re: Best smogasboard for healthy food
Save

Pretty sure PA Dutch smorgasbord and heathy food don’t go together! Maybe the salad bar.

Brick, New Jersey
Level Contributor
6,699 posts
161 reviews
165 helpful votes
9. Re: Best smogasboard for healthy food
Save

My "kid" is now 20....but she liked this back at age 12 and our family of three continue to like it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REPLL5b4reY&ab_channel=J%26BInTheHills

On the video jump to minute mark 8 minutes and 20 seconds. The grill options...cooked to order options are displayed.

It has the "wow" factor. Great fried chicken and mashed potatoes. Mac & Cheese.

For "healthy" or healthy-ish options there is a nice salad bar and a carving station (which is also a cook on demand station)

https://www.hersheyfarm.com/the-restaurant/

Edited: 04 June 2022, 10:24
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
3,997 reviews
54,748 helpful votes
10. Re: Best smogasboard for healthy food
Save

We love the Hershey Farm buffet for breakfast. There is more selection of food than the lido deck of a cruise.

Reply to: Best smogasboard for healthy food
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lancaster
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.