We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need where to stay (as in best location) advice for trip

Gadsden, Alabama
Level Contributor
372 posts
51 reviews
46 helpful votes
Need where to stay (as in best location) advice for trip
Save

Hi, posting at this forum because it seems to be the most busy.

My wife and I are planning a 30-year anniversary trip from the Southeast to the Lancaster/Amish/Pennsylvania Dutch area in May. We are planning to make the trip by car (it's only 750 or so miles, gas will be cheaper than plane/car rental).

Since we finalized that we are coming, and the time frame, we've been looking at a ton of B&B's, which would be our preference as far as lodging (although we wouldn't be opposed to a hotel).

There are tons of good ones as I'm sure the locals know, we're needing some advice as far as where to aim for as far as a location that will be the most centralized to allow us to venture around to see things.

We will be arriving on a Monday and leaving on Saturday. My wife is an antiquing fiend so we will probably do a day if not more in Adamstown. We want to get down to the heart of the Amish country for a day or so for a tour, buggy ride, etc. We are planning to spend a day at Gettysburg. We'd like to spend a day or so seeing some of the historical stuff in Lancaster. We have no real interest in Hershey or Philadelphia.

We've looked at maps and of course it's difficult to get an accurate bearing on locations since we've not personally experienced the lay of the land. But I guess my question would be, again, what's would be your recommended location for accomodations that would be the most centralized to allow us to do all these things? (Gettysburg would be the only really lengthy trip I know but it's only an hour and a half.)

We've looked at places in Denver, Ephrata, Stevens and Terre Hill, not opposed to a spot in Lancaster proper or closer to the city.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
4,078 posts
22 reviews
20 helpful votes
1. Re: Need where to stay (as in best location) advice for trip
Save

Well the areas you are looking at -Stevens, Ephrata Denver and Terre Hill are all reletively close to each other Terre Hill is probably the most out of the way and may add about 10 minutes to most of your trips since it is not on on or real near any major Hiighways, There is also only one restaurnant in the town- a decent diner which means you will travel for dinner

Honestly, since you are staying 5 days I would focus on which B and B most appeals to you

We have not stayed at any in the towns you mention although the Artist's Inn in Terre Hill is on our list for future stays

Oh and since you are into antiques you should be aware that the biggest venues in Adamstown- Renninger's and Stoudt's each with Hundreds of vendors- are open Sundays only- when you will not be in the area. There are many smaller venues in Adamstown open other days though.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
4,078 posts
22 reviews
20 helpful votes
2. Re: Need where to stay (as in best location) advice for trip
Save

PS In investigating on the internet I see that the Stoudt's complex in Adamstown has been sold and is now called IronSpire Their website appears to be a work in progress so I do';t know what changes if any that will mean for now the Antiques mall appesrs to still be open Sundays only 7:30-5

Edited: 18 January 2022, 20:34
Gadsden, Alabama
Level Contributor
372 posts
51 reviews
46 helpful votes
3. Re: Need where to stay (as in best location) advice for trip
Save

Thanks for the info! We have no trains to catch and we can certainly reschedule our trip to be there on a Sunday.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
4,078 posts
22 reviews
20 helpful votes
4. Re: Need where to stay (as in best location) advice for trip
Save

As a rule the earlier the better. I have not been to Adamstown since Covid but previously both Stoudts and Renningers had many vendors outside as well as inside. The outside ones usually were packing up by noon.

Gadsden, Alabama
Level Contributor
372 posts
51 reviews
46 helpful votes
5. Re: Need where to stay (as in best location) advice for trip
Save

Brookquarry, thanks again. (I sent you a PM too.) And of course our plans are dependent on the COVID situation and subject to revision.

Gadsden, Alabama
Level Contributor
372 posts
51 reviews
46 helpful votes
6. Re: Need where to stay (as in best location) advice for trip
Save

Following up, we'll be staying at 1786 The Limestone Inn in Strasburg. Looked like a good property, couldn't find any really bad reviews anywhere. Looking forward to our visit.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
4,078 posts
22 reviews
20 helpful votes
7. Re: Need where to stay (as in best location) advice for trip
Save

We stayed there several years ago It is a nice historic property Good Innkeepers good breakfasts. House is historic and furnished in period style

The house is on a pretty busy street- Route 741 but I don't recall any traffic noise- probably because of the thick stone walls

Strasburg is an attractive town to stroll along in good weather. The Strasburg creamery is within walking distance and has very good ice cream and fresh made waffle cones

Edited: 08 February 2022, 03:56
Reply to: Need where to stay (as in best location) advice for trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lancaster
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.