We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TSA screening time

7 posts
TSA screening time
Save

Roughly how much time should I allow for TSA screening for a 10a flight on a Sunday morning?

9 replies to this topic
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
12,967 posts
210 reviews
114 helpful votes
1. Re: TSA screening time
Save

Are you a local resident or do you have some difficult foreign ID issues? Or will you have any suspicious looking carry ons?

Our normal rush is in the 6-7 a.m. period for east coast bound flights.

I would not expect it to take more than a couple of minutes to get through at 10 a.m. on a Sunday. But it's never a good idea to cut it too close. Your flight will probably start boarding a half hour or so before departure and you don't want to look panicked going through security.

Even in busy times, Eugene is a pretty tranquil airport.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
17,194 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
2. Re: TSA screening time
Save

Welcome,

to answer your question, i have no idea. I do my own thing. Also i found out everyone has different tastes/likes and dislikes and also level of risk they are willing to accept.

here is MY RULE OF THUMB for flights. You dont say what and where you will fly to, but either way, you will find out if you screwed up or not if you see that plane leaving without you.

> for DOMESTIC flights, im at the airport ~2+ hours BEFORE the times on the ticket or BOARDING time.

> for INTERNATIONAL flights, im at the airport ~3+ hours for the same.

and if there is anything special going on i may pad that time. Like when i was at CDG during the Iraq War, i got there 3+ hours before and it was PACKED.

Even with PDX being a smaller INTERNATIONAL airport, i still get their early so i dont miss my flight and i can relax.

Also, hope you know there is construction/remodeling going on and so the interconnect past security is no longer available. So you need to know what concourse you will use. Holidays can make a difference too.

And if you decide to travel more in the future, ask yourself, do you want to make that flight and maybe have to leave early or play the gambling game and miss that flight. How much will 1 way walkup tickets cost you? do you think of that?

And last comment. If you are not there or have checked in by x amount of time some airlines will sell your seat or the security may not let you in.

good luck

7 posts
3. Re: TSA screening time
Save

Nothing special - just a US citizen on a quick weekend trip up from CA and going home Sunday morning. I looked at the flights and it appears that there are a bunch early (6ish) and then another set of 5 or 6 departing 9 - 10a. For really small airports I often arrive about 90 minutes in advance, and I have a rental car to drop off at 8am, so if 90 minutes is typically reasonable, I'll stick with that. Otherwise I have to make alternate car drop arrangements to drop before they open.

7 posts
4. Re: TSA screening time
Save

RC, I was asking about Eugene airport, not PDX. Is it Eugene that has construction? That's the kind of info I was hoping to get from someone who flies out of there regularly. I'm a very experienced domestic and international traveler, but the Eugene airport seems quite small and if things generally go quickly, I won't worry about the 90 min that I planned (based on when I can drop my rental car).

Edited: 01 September 2021, 04:40
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
12,967 posts
210 reviews
114 helpful votes
5. Re: TSA screening time
Save

We'll be flying out of EUG Thursday afternoon and are planning as I described. This is a small laid back airport. Nothing like PDX. RC's comments just don't apply here.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
12,967 posts
210 reviews
114 helpful votes
6. Re: TSA screening time
Save

Tried to add more, but got timed out.

RC can get carried away sometimes and I guess he just missed that we are talking about EUG, not PDX.

Regarding returning your rental car you'll be dropping it off less than 100 ft from the entrance to the terminal. As you enter the terminal you'll already be closer than that to the security checkpoint.

Except for those early hour rushes I mentioned, I usually want to be at the airport an hour before flight time. If you're more comfortable with 90 minutes, that's fine...just bring some reading material, especially if your flight is delayed (not an unusual occurrence). I don't know of any non-charter international flights out of EUG. Almost all our longer distance flights connect through Portland, Seattle, Denver, SF, Oakland, L.A,, Las Vegas or Salt Lake City.

7 posts
7. Re: TSA screening time
Save

Thank you, that is super helpful. I'm flying the new Avelo airline for the first time. It was an excellent way to get from Burbank non-stop to avoid the LAX hassle.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
12,967 posts
210 reviews
114 helpful votes
8. Re: TSA screening time
Save

I'll be going out on Southwest to Oakland. I have an aversion to Allegiant and I believe Avelo is a spinoff from Allegiant. If you get a chance I'd really appreciate knowing how your flights went and whether you'd recommend Avelo.

Edited: 01 September 2021, 05:27
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
12,967 posts
210 reviews
114 helpful votes
9. Re: TSA screening time
Save

So. getting bags checked and clearing security took 10 minutes, but our Southwest flight delayed 2+ hours! Airport busiest I've seen in a long time.

Reply to: TSA screening time
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Eugene
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.