We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Raleigh alone for 24 hours - what to see

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
In Raleigh alone for 24 hours - what to see
Save

I will be in Raleigh for about 24 hours next week and would like to get an overview of the city. Are there any tours that are run that I could hop onto? I thought the Great Raleigh Trolley might be the way to go, but it doesn't appear just to have a schedule.

I generally like walking tours but the heat could be a factor and I don't know how much area I can cover. If I have to pick a few places, what would you suggest? I like architecture. Suggestions?

I will have a car. I'm female and 70 years old, well traveled.

5 replies to this topic
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
13,975 posts
35 reviews
15 helpful votes
1. Re: In Raleigh alone for 24 hours - what to see
Save

The NC Art Museum is great. I also like the NC History Museum and NC Natural Sciences Museum downtown. Oakwood adjacent to downtown has some cool old Victorian homes.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: In Raleigh alone for 24 hours - what to see
Save

Have a look at Frontseat Pedicab:

https://www.frontseatpedicab.com/

I think it's new since there are few (but good) reviews on TA and elsewhere:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g49463-d23511286-Private_Pedicab_Tour_of_Downtown_Raleigh-Raleigh_North_Carolina.html

For other things to do you can search "tripadvisor things to do raleigh nc" and you might search nearby Durham, Chapel Hill and Cary if you need even more options.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
703 posts
67 reviews
70 helpful votes
3. Re: In Raleigh alone for 24 hours - what to see
Save

Downtown Raleigh is small enough you can really walk, and I'm not sure how much there is to learn about it on a tour. I would hit the museums, especially if it's hot - they are mostly all together on Jones Street. The Governor's Mansion is near there and there are limited tours, but you can walk around and there are other wonderful old homes in that area especially the Heck Andrews house.

Moore Square is nearby and quite nice, especially on the weekends, and there are some nice shops and restaurants at the City Market just next to Moore Square.

Will you have a car? If not you can take an Uber and I think Lyft operates in Raleigh - there are wonderful old homes in the Oakwood neighborhood and the Hayes Barton neighborhood near Five Points. Cameron Village is a wonderful little outdoor shopping area with some great restaurants (Tazza Kitchen is my favorite). The NC Art Museum has a wonderful art walk (if it's not too hot) but you will have to drive there from downtown.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
4. Re: In Raleigh alone for 24 hours - what to see
Save

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I walked around a lot, did the self guided tour of the capitol building. Moore Square and City Market were fun. I dropped by the museums but didn't spend a lot of time in them. Was sad that some of the historic buildings that previously were tour-able were no longer available. The one that frustrated me the most was Haywood Hall. Web searches and brochures showed that it was open the second and fourth Thursdays of the month. So I showed up and that turned out not to be true. I did a tour of the Joel Lane Museum House and the people there were very gracious. Tazza Kitchen has a spot in Richmond, so I will drop by there the next time I am down the road - thanks for the tip, Lynn-in-Chapel-Hill.

After I got home, I found this site for a self guided walking tour. Darn it! Maybe it will help someone else.

https://www.gpsmycity.com/tours/raleighs-downtown-walking-tour-4800.html

Winter Garden...
Level Contributor
1 post
171 reviews
62 helpful votes
5. Re: In Raleigh alone for 24 hours - what to see
Save

Thanks, I will check it out! We’re meeting our granddaughters there next month.

Reply to: In Raleigh alone for 24 hours - what to see
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Raleigh
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.