We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hudson to Chatham (Spencertown)

Limekilns, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hudson to Chatham (Spencertown)

Hi, we will be picking up a hire car from Hudson and driving to our rental property in Spencertown just south of Chatham in two weeks' time. Can anyone tell me if there are any grocery stores on this route as we don't want to arrive at 5pm in the evening with no food. Any advice about walking trails in the area would be welcome as well. Thanks in advance.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hudson to Chatham (Spencertown)

There are several supermarkets in Hudson and there is a Price Chopper located on Rt. 66 between Ghent and Chatham.

The Spencertown area is beautiful -- I spent a lot of time wandering around the Spencertown landscape quite a few years ago (because of my job). I don't remember any specific trails in the area but I do remember walking up to the fire tower at Beebe Hill State Forest in Austerlitz.

Eastern Columbia County is my home and I miss it.

Enjoy your time there.

Limekilns, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hudson to Chatham (Spencertown)

Thanks so much for your reply. We are really looking forward to our trip.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hudson to Chatham (Spencertown)

Price Chopper is in the middle of changing the name of all their stores from Price Chopper to Market 32 -- it is a rolling thing so may or may not have made it to Ghent/Chatham by then. I thought I'd mention it in case the sign changes before you come and you can't find the grocery store.

Bish Bash Falls, which is about half an hour from Spencertown, is a popular walk/hike. Ooms Conservation Area in Old Chatham has about a 3 mile walking loop, I think. Here is a list with a bunch more: columbiacountytourism.org/outdoor/hiking-tra…

Make sure you visit Chatham Brewing in Chatham (if you like that kind of thing). One of our favorite places!

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hudson to Chatham (Spencertown)

Ooh -- one more that isn't too far from Hudson -- High Falls Conservation Area has a great waterfall after a relatively short walk. It has been a while since I've been there, so I can't remember how taxing the walk is, but I thought it was worth a mention. Another interesting one that was listed in the link above is the Dutch Farming Heritage trail, since it is trail but has interpretive historical markers along the way (again, if that is your thing). It goes right through the farm where from whom we get our vegetables!

hikethehudsonvalley.com/high-falls-conservat…

https:/…Dutch-Farm-Link-Trail.pdf

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,108 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hudson to Chatham (Spencertown)

In case you happen to be looking for it in some type of alphabetical listing, its Bash Bish Falls, not Bish Bash Falls.

Limekilns, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hudson to Chatham (Spencertown)

Thank you so much for all the information. We will definitely try the walks you recommend.Our son lives and works in New York city now so this trip will be in the middle of our two week trip sandwiched by Brooklyn and Manhattan.

Level Contributor
231 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hudson to Chatham (Spencertown)

Hawthorne Valley Farm Store 327 County route 21C Ghent N.Y. Great place !

8. Re: Hudson to Chatham (Spencertown)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2018, 09:15
Get answers to your questions about Hudson