We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating out - Seminyak

Sheffield
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
21 helpful votes
Eating out - Seminyak
Save

Hello all - I’ve already been looking through some of these forums for Bali and making notes which are super helpful!

We are hoping to visit Bali about the third week of July, 2 x adults and our 14 year old son. We are considering either the W hotel or the Alila to book but is there anyone who could give an idea of how much it is to eat out?

I know that’s like asking how long is a pierce of string but I’m wondering if Seminyak is classed as more upmarket do we have to factor in a big budget for drinks, snacks and dinner (breakfast is at the hotel)?

So for example if we went to a popular restaurant all had main courses, pizza/ pasta for my son, seafood for me, steak/meat for husband with sides, couple of alcoholic drinks and soft drinks, possibly deserts, are we looking at £100 ish? I know most places have to add on the service charge and gov taxes too.

I’ve started trying to find restaurants and find the menus to double check but if anyone has knowledge that would be fab.

I think husband is concerned that a 2 centre holiday of Singapore and Bali is going to be a lot more than he initially thought :-/

Thanks in advance!

11 replies to this topic
coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
13,016 posts
62 reviews
98 helpful votes
1. Re: Eating out - Seminyak
Save

Yes, Seminyak is more upmarket that most other areas. Alcohol is very expensive in Bali, so what you drink, and how much can really push up the cost. Your £100 (around IDR 1,800,000) for a meal should be fine. But depends on what seafood (imported lobster as an example), or whether steak is imported. All that will make a huge difference.

But you will always find more budget friendly places and should easily eat for half that or much less, alcohol dependent of course.

Take your 1 litre (per adult) of duty free alcohol and buy mixers and your snacks from convenience stores.

Of course, you are in Bali, perhaps consider eating some local food? No need to visit high end tourist restaurants all the time.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
21 helpful votes
2. Re: Eating out - Seminyak
Save

Brilliant thank you that’s really helpful! It’s actually only me that has a couple of drinks with dinner so I guess that’s not a huge cost.

Definitely want to eat at the more local places too and try the local traditional food, my son will have just turned 14 and is rather fussy with what he eats which makes it a little more tricky I guess!

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,016 posts
62 reviews
98 helpful votes
3. Re: Eating out - Seminyak
Save

If your son eats fried rice, he's good to order Nasi Goreng! Or Mie Goreng - Fried Noodles. Can add chicken, pork or sometimes seafood. Beef is expensive in Bali. Chicken and pork are the "go to" meats.

Greater Adelaide...
Level Contributor
8,797 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Eating out - Seminyak
Save

Hi, we stay Seminyak twice a year and enjoy the cafes and restaurants on offer. The island of Bali offers wonderful cafes and restaurants with international cuisine and very tasty Indonesian food and prices to suit all budgets. Menus are generally displayed at the entrance to the restaurant.

Seminyak can be pricey compared to other areas (depending on the restaurant) as 21% tax and service fee will be added to the account.

As mentioned imported alcohol is expensive but having said that my cocktails are less than the cost in my hometown.

We stay Jalan Kayu Aya (“eat street”) with many eateries nearby. Metered Bluebird taxis are plentiful and economical to get around locally if wanting to venture further.

As a couple we spend roughly IDR900,000 per day for lunch with fruit juice, 2 course dinner with alcohol, coffee, cakes, fruit juice during the day. This was pre Covid and it has been suggested that prices may have increased (?).

You could have a look at the menus for the following suggestions for an overview. The list is endless when it comes to eating out in Bali.

Ginger Moon

Batik

Cafe Bali

Chandi

Ultimo

Mamasan

Revolver

La Lucciola

Biku

Gado Gado

If considering both Singapore and Bali it is preferable if you push through to Bali and visit Singapore on your return home; same time zone and you’ll arrive fresh. And just to add that there is nothing of cultural significance in Seminyak; good for cafes, restaurants, boutiques. Depends if you’re interested in the Balinese culture or wanting to do certain activities e.g. white water rafting, ATVs, cycling tours.which are located in the Ubud area and you’d spend extra time in travelling fro Seminyak.

July is peak season so room rates will be higher.

Sorry, probably too much information :-)

Cheers.

Edited: 24 January 2023, 05:42
Sheffield
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
21 helpful votes
5. Re: Eating out - Seminyak
Save

Actually my son does actually like noodles and rice, although quite plain but I reckon we could something for him, bd great for him to sit and eat at somewhere more local and interesting:-)

6. Re: Eating out - Seminyak

This post has been removed at the author's request.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Sheffield
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
21 helpful votes
7. Re: Eating out - Seminyak
Save

Thank you BaliAustralia that is so helpful! The more info the better! I’ll check out the restaurants you’ve suggested. I know 7/8 days in Bali isn’t a long time, especially when trying to fit in relaxation as well as some sightseeing. I thought I’d research Ubud for the best sights there, a boat trip would be good and def a temple, but I haven’t had chance to look into those areas yet :-)

Greater Adelaide...
Level Contributor
8,797 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Eating out - Seminyak
Save

Hi, from Seminyak you could visit Tanah Lot (North) from Seminyak or Uluwatu Temple (South). Tanah lot is very popular for sunsets but be aware that when the sun disappears the traffic departing will be horrendous. At Uluwatu Temple you could see the Kecak dance performance but the traffic will also be congested when leaving.

Yep, 7/8 days is not a long time. Could consider splitting between Ubud and Seminyak? But if relaxation is the key and taking into account massages, spas, shopping (?) perhaps just Seminyak and either of the two temples I suggested.

“A boat trip” to where? Both Nusa Penida and Nusa Lembongan are a half hour boat ride from Sanur. Day trips can be done but NP would really require a couple of days. Seminyak is roughly 30 mins one way to Sanur depending on the traffic and you’d want the earliest boat departure time to make best use of your time.

In Sanur you can hire a jukung boat with ‘captain’ for a boat ride just near the coast but probably best at high tide with a good breeze. Could make a day of it as Sanur is a lovely area with a beachfront pathway with cafes, restaurants, markets. Cycling is popular in Sanur including eBikes.

Happy planning.

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,016 posts
62 reviews
98 helpful votes
9. Re: Eating out - Seminyak
Save

I agree that Seminyak may not be the ideal given your short time and what you want to see/do. Be aware that central Ubud is almost another Seminyak, with tourist shops, restaurants & spas. There are a couple of things to see locally, but will only take a few minutes. Most of the interesting sightseeing is well outside Ubud central. So it can make for a long time in the car. 3-5 hours of driving over your day trip, depending on where you go, before you actually do much.

The temples recommended in post 8 are two of the most highly touristic temples in Bali, and unless you get Tanah Lot at very low tide, you cannot go inside. It can also get very crowded at Tanah Lot, and now the Chinese tourists are starting to arrive back in Bali, sunset traffic from Tanah Lot may be back to it's pre-covid hell.

With a 14 year old, there would be so much more to do in Ubud (except the beach), bike ride/ATV/rafting etc. Animal encounters, cultural things such as dances, museums etc, walks, day trips for sightseeing,and of course, a much larger range of temples to visit.

There is a massive range of wonderful hotels in and around Ubud at all price points. Many, just outside the busy central area have amazing views.

Would you consider wither splitting your trip? Otherwise, if beach is important to your family, then stick with Seminyak. But do be aware of beach conditions, the ocean can be rough, there can be strong currents and rips/undertows. There are many drownings along this stretch of beach. So best to be competent and strong swimmers.

Mornington...
Level Contributor
62 posts
12 reviews
15 helpful votes
10. Re: Eating out - Seminyak
Save

Many restaurants in seminyak are pricey, especially for steaks etc. try cafe Bali on eat street which is moderately priced and suitable for families. There is also the popular Ultimo just up the road which has pizza /pasta, again tailored for families. And for something special but not over priced, Chandi on eat street is one of my faves. Happy planning.

Reply to: Eating out - Seminyak
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Seminyak
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.