We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Fine

Beit Shemesh, Israel
2 posts
Driving Fine

Hi all

So I'm visiting the states from UK and got pulled over for switching lanes without indicating. The cop told me that my UK license is no good here and gave me 2 fines 1 for driving unlicensed and 1 for not indicating. He also gave me a mandated court hearing for both. The date of the hearing is after I leave the US. I don't mind paying it and finishing it, I just cant dont know what to do about the Court case . what is the correct form of action?

TIA

6 replies to this topic
Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
8,305 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Driving Fine

It appears the cop was wrong about your UK license not being valid. Viewing the NJ Motor Vehicle website: www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/Visitors.htm , the license was valid, although it is advised (but not mandatory) to have an International Driving Permit.

I'm assuming your violation occurred in NJ. For simplicity, you could possibly go to the police station in the town where your violation occurred and explain the situation with the Sargent on duty. You could also contact a lawyer in the state to aid you and give you some advice. Obviously, none of this is legal advice.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
12,745 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Driving Fine

Was it a local cop or a state trooper?

Beit Shemesh, Israel
2 posts
3. Re: Driving Fine

local

NJ
Level Contributor
961 posts
229 reviews
4. Re: Driving Fine

Call a local lawyer. Look on line. That person can advocate on your behalf & that person can get it handled without you being present through an affidavit. You will not be able to do this yourself.

The phone # for the NJ State Bar association lawyer referral office for Monmouth county where Howell is located is 732-431-5544

Work, Beach or...
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
5. Re: Driving Fine

I find it ironic that you came all the way from the UK, probably drove a few times at most, and got ticketed for that. I drive hundreds of miles through NJ weekly, and it seems that signaling for lane changes has gone the way of many other common courtesies on our roads. I wonder what would happen if you just ignore the ticket, would that affect your UK license? The people that live here ignore their tickets all the time, and they're still driving!!

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
8,305 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Driving Fine

I wondered if ignoring the ticket would work also, but that could create a while host of problems if it gets traced back to your passport.

And I'm not sure how many people ignore their tickets that live here, but doing so usually doesn't end well for them at some point.

Reply to: Driving Fine
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Howell