We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July on the Upper Peninsula

Litchfield NH
3 posts
July on the Upper Peninsula

Expect to be in Upper Peninsula area mid July......will the crowds be horriffic? We will be in a 5th Wheel RV and looking for campgrounds......any recommendations??? Are advance reservations a must?? We're a retired couple traveling with no children....

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
791 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: July on the Upper Peninsula

July is the busy time around Mackinac Island, but when we have been there in the past the crowds haven't too bad. Even at its busiest the Island isn't too bad, because it's all foot and bicycle traffic. We aren't campers, but I do remember that there is a campground right by the Mackinac Bridge in St. Ignace that seemed very nice. We went there to take pictures of the bridge because of the awesome view. When you cross the bridge heading north it is to the right of the bridge. I don't know if you wanted to be that close to the action or not, but it seemed very peaceful. I'm thinking that it was a state park, but I don't remember the name of it. I would definitely be getting a reservation for wherever you want to stay though, because since the tourist season is relatively short up that way, things fill up very fast. The area up around Paradise and Whitefish Bay is very pretty, but there is not much around there in terms of shopping, etc. I hope you have fun!

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: July on the Upper Peninsula

I've camped all over the U.P. and July is the peak time. But like alot of things, it is manageable. If you plan ahead you will be fine. I would recommend reservations for any State Campground or KOA type Campground on weekends especially. Your Woodall's book should help you with descriptions and different locations. During the week, if you get there before 1pm most camp grounds have some vacancies, but lot choices are sometimes thin. It is definately worth driving through and enjoying. It is beautiful. Michigan DNR web site allows ON line campsite reservations. Enjoy.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: July on the Upper Peninsula

P.S. the state park in St. Ignace is STRAITS STATE park... it has ALOT of sites, and the UPPER campground is nice if that is all that is available. The lower campground is most popular because it is closer to the water and view of the bridge.

There is a HUGE private campground at mackinaw City on the south side of the bridge. I think it is called Mackinaw Campground. You have a lot of options if your looking at Mackinaw city alone.

Level Contributor
1,621 posts
4. Re: July on the Upper Peninsula

Have you considered Manistique? It is within a day trip distance to the Falls, Pictured Rocks, Fayette, etc. The state campgrounds on Indian Lake are nice.

dallas metroplex
9 posts
5. Re: July on the Upper Peninsula

what part of the UP will you be? i've lived in marquette and ironwood. :)

Michigan
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: July on the Upper Peninsula

July is one of the busiest times for tourism but it's really not that bad. We stayed at Mackinaw Mill Creek campground last summer and had a great time. It's huge - right on the water and has a view of the Mackinaw Bridge. I would make a reservation asap as things usually book up pretty fast around that time of the year. Places to visit in the U.P. are the pictured rocks, taquanemon falls (sp?), and lake of the clouds. Have a great vacation!

Litchfield NH
3 posts
7. Re: July on the Upper Peninsula

Thanks so much for all of your feed-back. Our biggest decision seems to be "when to leave" New Hampshire? We're retired and can go pretty much whenever we want to; our final Western destination is to be Montana/Glacier Nat'l Park (we have friends in Polson) with primary stops in Colorado, Wyoming/Yellowstone............then do Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan on the way back. It's difficult to make reservations when we're not sure about timing. We're entertaining thoughts of leaving NH mid-May; don't want to leave too early. We've had back luck traveling in May the past few years......rain, rain, rain.........mud, mud, mud. I'm finding it rather intimidating to be gone for two or three months.........know folks do it all the time, but it'll be a first for us! We're in our mid-upper 60's and traveling with two dogs (Westies); they are awesome and good company. Anyway, do enjoy this input from all of you good travelers. Please continue to share ideas. Thanks!

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: July on the Upper Peninsula

July is the time to go to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan if you want to be reasonably warm. I grew up there and I know the weather pretty well.

9. Re: July on the Upper Peninsula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 14:20
Get answers to your questions about Mackinaw City