We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccine News....is 2021 going to look normal?

Level Contributor
199 posts
1 review
Vaccine News....is 2021 going to look normal?
Save

Hi, currently booked for end of May 2021 for orlando. Every week that has gone by I have felt less and less optimistic however with today’s news Ona potential game changing vaccine being available. Do we see April/May onwards as having the potential to being back to the Orlando we all remember??

244 replies to this topic
US
Level Contributor
9,105 posts
42 reviews
17 helpful votes
1. Re: Vaccine News....is 2021 going to look normal?
Save

I don't think it will be widely available enough to affect things this spring.

Niagara-on-the-Lake...
Level Contributor
688 posts
6 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: Vaccine News....is 2021 going to look normal?
Save

Perhaps by early 2022 things will be almost back to normal.

Texas
Level Contributor
3,714 posts
68 reviews
48 helpful votes
3. Re: Vaccine News....is 2021 going to look normal?
Save

The Pfizer vaccine needs to undergo secondary analysis.

It needs to be stored in a -80 freezer. Pfizer says 50 million vaccine doses in 2020 and up to 1.3 billion doses in 2021. takes 4.Weeks to develop immunity. Only 1.35 billion doses, everyone needs two so only what 653 million people can get vaccinated by the end of 2021? That’s a fraction of the population. And how many vaccines are going to your country or state? And how will they be prioritized?

I am sorry, I know this forum likes to hope that things will go back to normal but it will take years to vaccinate and we will be wearing masks until then.

Let’s just hope the vaccine gives long term immunity because we are seeing multiple reinfections here.

Hampton, United...
Level Contributor
6,142 posts
14 reviews
29 helpful votes
4. Re: Vaccine News....is 2021 going to look normal?
Save

Plus we don’t yet know long the vanccine protects you for. What if you need a top say once a year.

I think the U.K. numbers (we have £40m doses to cover 20m people pre-orders) covers vulnerable, old and NHS workers. So it will slow down the spread but will not eliminate the disease.

Will Orlando be back to ‘normal’, I doubt it that fast.

Maryland
Level Contributor
355 posts
1 review
5. Re: Vaccine News....is 2021 going to look normal?
Save

It’s right to be optimistic but no, not by Spring 2021. The vast, vast majority of the US needs to be vaccinated for that to happen and with a population of 300+ million that isn’t likely to happen by Q3/4 next year, according to scientists. It’s no silver bullet people. Let’s not get carried away. Cautious optimism is the order of the day.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
22,655 posts
42 reviews
23 helpful votes
6. Re: Vaccine News....is 2021 going to look normal?
Save

“ Do we see April/May onwards as having the potential to being back to the Orlando we all remember??”

Who knows? Who really knows?

Bicester, United...
Level Contributor
620 posts
98 reviews
75 helpful votes
7. Re: Vaccine News....is 2021 going to look normal?
Save

Unfortunately unlikely, the vaccine is still going through final checks, there are limited volumes of doses, in the Uk, for example, we have only ordered enough for 1/3 of the population which is going to old people and NHS workers first so no chance of mass vaccinations until late 2021-early 2022 imo.

And even with a vaccine, the issue is if the vaccine is slow to roll out COVID mutations might be faster forming making vaccines for the rest of the population nearly useless.

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
26,025 posts
56 reviews
71 helpful votes
8. Re: Vaccine News....is 2021 going to look normal?
Save

I very much doubt 2021 is going to look "normal" and no way by the spring!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
9 reviews
5 helpful votes
9. Re: Vaccine News....is 2021 going to look normal?
Save

Hopefully more like normal towards the end of 2021 but probably not by spring. Anyone looking to book the later in the year you can go the more likely it will be "more normal" Also how would a theme park know who has had the vaccination and who has not, they would. need to keep some restrictions to protect those that have not had it.

Morecambe, United...
Level Contributor
19,943 posts
139 reviews
141 helpful votes
10. Re: Vaccine News....is 2021 going to look normal?
Save

Whatever the thoughts are it’s the first bit of good news on Covid..

In my book that’s a good thing👍🏻👍🏻

Reply to: Vaccine News....is 2021 going to look normal?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
US$USD
Hong Kong SAR
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.