We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petra nightlife and bars ?!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
17 reviews
27 helpful votes
Petra nightlife and bars ?!

I'm in Petra for 4 days. At night I'd like to explore the town and have some drinks. I've seen the "Cave Bar" and it's $14. CAD for a beer, which is a bit expensive. If anyone has other suggestions or tips, please advise !

Can you bring your own wine into "Petra by Night" ?....that would be fun, sitting among the candles with a cup :-)

Barry

4 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
984 posts
15 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Petra nightlife and bars ?!

I would manage expectations on Petra by Night and there are no "cups" with candles. I wrote this: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293985-i2131-k14579437-Physically_harassed_clearly_unsafe_in_Petra_by_Night-Jordan.html

The town center a short taxi ride from Petra has some okay places, but every driver will tell you it's a purely touristy place where prices are at least double normal. Honestly not a bad idea to just have a drink at your hotel balcony, get an early start in Petra, and have a proper night out elsewhere.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed nights out in Amman far, far more than dinner out in Petra. I stayed 3 nights in Petra, longer than usual like you.

Terrell, Texas
Level Contributor
6,345 posts
163 reviews
77 helpful votes
2. Re: Petra nightlife and bars ?!

The Cave Bar is expensive, but it's very worth it. Husband and I spent two very nice evenings there. They have a nice mezze plate, too.

Jordan
Destination Expert
for Jordan
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
172 reviews
219 helpful votes
3. Re: Petra nightlife and bars ?!

I wasn't a huge fan of the Cave Bar. It's a great marketing scheme - world's oldest bar at 2000 years - even though it's just a bar in one of hundreds of caves in Petra. No more than 30 years. Anyway, Petra doesn't have much of a night life. I know there was a billiards hall near the town center circle but not sure if it is still there. The extent of nightlife for locals is men sitting in cafes playing cards and PUBG on their phones while sitting together. There are very few small restaurants and cafes that have liquor licenses and some don't have licenses but still offer a couple of beer choices and wine hoping not to get busted.

All 5* hotels in Jordan, to include Petra, sell alcohol (except during Ramadan). The prices vary. In my opinion, $14 for a beer at the Cave Bar is highway robbery. I suggest the Marriott Hotel which sits up high on a mountain overlooking the Petra mountains. You get a great view if you sit outside or even from the lounge deck. A Petra beer costs 6.7 JD ($9.45 USD). If you are staying closer to the Petra entrance, right across the street is the Mövenpick Hotel which sells Petra beer for 6.5 JD for small tap Petra beer and 8.5 for large Petra beer. I don't know how much the cans are. The Mövenpick is a little more expensive than the Marriott due to its location and many tourists stopping there for a refresher after a day in Petra.

Petra - Wadi Musa...
Destination Expert
for Petra - Wadi Musa, Amman
Level Contributor
6,474 posts
44 reviews
20 helpful votes
4. Re: Petra nightlife and bars ?!

unfortunately 14 CAD for a beer is a very normal price here in Jordan, all alcohol is heavily taxed and therefor expensive. You could buy some beer or wine in Madaba or Amman before heading to Petra, depending on where you stay they won't scan your bags when you enter the hotel. Apart from the Cave Bar, the Movenpick and the Marriott Hotel there's the little bar right next to Petra Palace Hotel (Tourist Street).

As for nightlife in Amman, scroll through this forum a bit and you will find several people who have posted warnings. Enjoy your time !

Patricia (Petra Bed & Breakfast - Horse Riding Jordan)

Reply to: Petra nightlife and bars ?!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Petra - Wadi Musa
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.