We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa Questions

Level Contributor
38 posts
Visa Questions

We arrive in Israel next Thursday on July 13th. We are staying in Israel for 10 days and plan on visiting Jordan for a day trip to Pera and then again for 2-3 nights at the end of the trip to stay at a Dead Sea resort. How do we obtain a dual-entry visa by next week or how do we avoid the early exit fees from Jordan? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Petra - Wadi Musa...
Level Contributor
674 posts
12 reviews
17 helpful votes
1. Re: Visa Questions

Dear Excursions,

the itinerary you mention is very inefficient. Travelwise and moneywise. It's not only the visa, it's also the departure tax you have to pay when you leave Israel to go to Jordan (about 103 shekel) and from Jordan to Israel (10JOD).

Next to that, your Petra ticket will be 90 JOD if you really do a day visit to Jordan to visit Petra.

So I would give it a thought to just enter Jordan once, via the Wadi Araba border, from Eilat to Aqaba.

Visit Petra and the Dead Sea, and leave again either via the Wadi Araba border (quick and easy) or a border in the north of Jordan. You can find a lot of information about the norther border crossings on this forum.

YOu can find all information about crossing the Wadi Araba border on this webpage https://www.petrafigtreevilla.com/wadi-araba-border/

Have a great time in Jordan,

Jolanda

B&B Petra Fig Tree Villa | Beit al Taybeh Guesthouse

Jordan
Destination Expert
for Jordan
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
172 reviews
219 helpful votes
2. Re: Visa Questions

Excursion742386, you will find lots of self promotion on this forum. To answer your questions and for others who may be in a similar situation, the only way you can get the 40 JD visa fee waived is if you enter Jordan from the southern most land border, Wadi Araba / Yitzhak Rabin border crossing AND if you stay a minimum of 2 nights. If you stay 3 nights, then the 10 JD exit tax is waived when you head back to Israel. When you leave Israel to enter Jordan, you pay 109 NIS exit fee. These figures are per person. Another way to get the 40 JD visa fee waived is to purchase the Jordan Pass but it wouldn't be worth it since you would get a free visa at the Wadi Araba border crossing anyway and you wouldn't have time to actually see any of the sites.

Not sure if you plan to visit Petra on your first entry with a tour group or not. If not, then you will pay ~50 JD for a transfer from the border to Petra (not per person but for all of you). Same price to return to the border crossing after your visit to Petra. The transfer is 2 hours each way.

Per the Petra website, your fee for Petra will be 90 JD per person https://visitpetra.jo/Pages/viewpage.aspx?pageID=138 under #2.

If you choose to cross at the King Hussein Bridge / Allenby border crossing, the transfer will be just under 4 hours each way. Plus, this border crossing is very time consuming and can take hours to cross, depending on how many people are trying to cross the border and if it is religious holiday. The Israel exit fee is 190 NIS at this border (more than the other border). In my opinion, the Wadi Araba / Yitzhak Rabin border crossing is more cost and time efficient.

I am not positive but I do not think you can get a multi- or dual-entry visa at a land border crossing. If you are an American, I know you can get a 5- and 10- year visitors visa from the airport but am not aware of the land borders. Also, I recently read (within the last 3 months) that other nationalities can get multiple entry visas but I am not familiar with the prices or the number of times you can enter (one no longer needs to purchase a 5- or 10-year visa). I fly in and out of Jordan monthly and when I asked the airport authorities and on other occasions the Department of Borders in Amman, I always receive differing responses so it's not worth sharing on the forum since I am not sure whose account to believe.

My suggestion would be to visit Petra on your second trip to Jordan. If you cross at the Wadi Araba / Yitzhak Rabin border crossing, your 40 JD visa fee will be waived. Pre-arrange a driver to pick you up at the border on the Jordanian side and drive straight to Petra. Visit Petra for the day or 1.5 days and then head to the Dead Sea (~3.5 hours drive). Spend the rest of your time visiting the Dead Sea area and nearby Madaba or just relax at the resort hotels and the therapeutic water.

If you decide to cross into Jordan at the King Hussein Bridge / Allenby border crossing, you will pay the 40 JD visa fee unless you have the Jordan pass. You can find more information about the Jordan Pass at this website: https://www.jordanpass.jo. If you visit Petra on this visit, then it will be worth purchasing the Jordan Pass. When you exit Israel, you will pay 190 NIS exit fee. Crossing into Jordan as opposed to vice versa is much easier because Jordanian security is not as intense or time consuming as Israeli. You didn't mention how you are leaving Jordan on your second visit. If you are flying out, you will not pay the 10 JD exit tax. If you are crossing back into Israel for a second time, then you will pay the 10 JD exit tax.

Amman, Jordan
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
19,978 posts
38 reviews
96 helpful votes
3. Re: Visa Questions

its better if you stay at Dead sea resort in Israel side.That saves you enter Jordan twice .Save time and cost

Level Contributor
52 posts
4. Re: Visa Questions

if you enter at aqaba and stay 2 nights can you avoid the 40jd if you fly out of amman on departure?

Amman, Jordan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,978 posts
38 reviews
96 helpful votes
5. Re: Visa Questions

When you enter at Aqaba and stay in the country 2 nights you get free ASEZA visa.

Level Contributor
52 posts
6. Re: Visa Questions

can you avoid the exit tax if you stay 3 nights?how much is this?? is this included in theplane tkt originally?sorry about all the questions

Amman, Jordan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,978 posts
38 reviews
96 helpful votes
7. Re: Visa Questions

Yes departure tax Jd 10 is included with plane ticket. You dnt pay exit tax when leave via airport

If you enter at Aqaba and leave Jordan by land border you dnt pay exit tax Jd 10

Level Contributor
52 posts
8. Re: Visa Questions

I see .so you don't get the exit tax back if you leave by plane and have stayed more than 3nights?

Amman, Jordan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,978 posts
38 reviews
96 helpful votes
9. Re: Visa Questions

I hvnt heard of any traveler getting back exit tax .once tax goes into government coffer it dsnt leave.

Reply to: Visa Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Petra - Wadi Musa
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.