We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What "must see" sightseeing in 2 days?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
512 posts
39 reviews
68 helpful votes
What "must see" sightseeing in 2 days?
Save

Hello all,

We are going to be in Sedona for 2 nights beginning the afternoon of Sept 3 and leaving morning of Sept 5 as part of a 11 day loop from and back to LV.

I JUST put this trip together in a 24-hour timespan yesterday and my head is spinning from booking car, lodging and airfare at this late date after having to cancel our Italy trip, so I really need some last-minute advice and help.

We'll probably check in (Matterhorn Inn) and spend the afternoon in town, and then start our sightseeing early the next morning.

I think the Broken Arrow jeep tour looks fun, but I am unsure if it's for us as it looks more like a rather extreme way to see an area as opposed to just going and seeing the sights. (Seems like people just love it though!)

If we were to do that, what time would be good, and what other hike or tour would you recommend to pair that with? I'd like to see Cathedral Rock. I guess if we did a hike, we should plan that for early in the morning. We also really enjoy history and culture, so if there are good ruins, etc., that would be something we'd have an interest in.

We are 60 and 70, little hiking experience, fit and healthy and used to heat. Probably would need to limit any one hike to 1-2 hours. We have boots and suitable clothing, but don't want the terrain too rough/uneven, although we can handle that as needed in spots.

We're headed to stay in the Grand Canyon for one night after we leave Sedona. What could we do on the way out of town and on the way there?

Thanks so much!

15 replies to this topic
Vista, California
Level Contributor
7,325 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
1. Re: What "must see" sightseeing in 2 days?
Save

Probably easiest to look at the information right here on TA.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g31352-Activities-Sedona_Arizona.html

North Carolina
Level Contributor
9,418 posts
9 reviews
6 helpful votes
2. Re: What "must see" sightseeing in 2 days?
Save

Diana,

Not sure why your "head is spinning" as I provided you an itinerary with lodging, activities, restaurants. All was written with links to book in your other post. Sedona Pink jeep tours - one of the links I provided has many tours - some easier than broken arrow. You just need to look more closely at their website. Again all was provided. This should have been an easy trip to execute.

Edited: 11 August 2021, 22:33
North Carolina
Level Contributor
512 posts
39 reviews
68 helpful votes
3. Re: What "must see" sightseeing in 2 days?
Save

SwimFan, your info was extremely helpful, and as you can see, I have taken pretty much all of your advice.

My head is spinning because I had to do everything in a 24 hour timeframe, and I'm not as young as I used to be. I'm short on time to plan this, and want to make sure what we are doing is maximizing the short amount of time we have in the area.

I'm asking here for a good hike to pair with a Jeep tour. Would love your input. Thanks.

flwFan, I had already spent time looking at the info on that link, and have narrowed down what I'd like to do to a hike or a tour with ruins, paired with the Jeep tour.

Would love to hear your suggestions - thanks!

Edited: 11 August 2021, 22:41
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
17,941 posts
53 reviews
101 helpful votes
4. Re: What "must see" sightseeing in 2 days?
Save

The Matterhorn Inn is my favorite place to stay in Sedona. Excellent views from your room and patio or balcony. Just driving around Sedona you'll see lovely red rock scenery. Perhaps on that first day I would see the Chapel of the Holy Cross just south of town. Then on the way back stop at Garland's Navajo Rugs on the traffic circle before Tlaquepaque Village upscale shopping area. Garland's has excellent Native American items, much more than just rugs and just Navajo items. The last room has museum-quality items. Tlaquepaque has interesting shops. We always love having lunch at Rene there.

You don't have to do any hikes to see lovely scenery, just driving about could fill the bill. I would do a first thing in the morning jeep trip with Pink Jeeps. You can walk there from where you're staying. The Broken Arrow trip is nice because it is fun and shows you what a jeep can do. It's also scenic. We usually now do the jeep trip to a more remote cliff dwelling NW of town. Nothing drastic in the jeep, just a bouncy ride on the rutted road. There's a short hike then to the ruins.

When you leave town for the Grand Canyon you'll be heading up Oak Creek Canyon on US89A which is a very scenic drive. After the switchbacks at the top there is a place to turn off for views back down the canyon. I like entering the Grand Canyon N.P. by the East Entrance, which if you do you'll turn off from I-17 north on to I-40 east, and then US89 north. Go a little past the road leading to the Grand Canyon and visit Cameron Trading Post, a good place to stop for lunch or food to take with you, see their large store full of good quality Western and Native American items including lovely turquoise jewelry. Do not miss the gallery in the north side of the parking lot. It is full of museum-quality items at commensurate prices. For my wife and I, just a joy to visit and as worthy as visiting as the Grand Canyon. From the east entrance you can make many of the stops along the way for view points. We love the Grandview one as we hike down 50-100 feet vertically into the canyon on a rare trail, sit in the shade, and eat our lunch from Cameron Trading Post which we have brought with us there. It's a completely different experience as you are now IN the canyon, and its peaceful and quiet away from the hustle and bustle of the rim.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
512 posts
39 reviews
68 helpful votes
5. Re: What "must see" sightseeing in 2 days?
Save

marcopolko, thank you SO much.

That is perfect - I really appreciate your help!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
9,418 posts
9 reviews
6 helpful votes
6. Re: What "must see" sightseeing in 2 days?
Save

Sedona:

Easy hikes - Bell Rock and Courthouse Vista parking lot trails

RR Crossing // Crescent Moon day use site. Good place to eat a picnic dinner and watch the reflection of Cathedral Rock onto Oak Creek, see here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152544914@N02/32901676930/

Sunrise - Sedona Airport overlook or Sedona Airport Mesa Vortex overlook trail, see here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152544914@N02/32442069124/

North Carolina
Level Contributor
512 posts
39 reviews
68 helpful votes
7. Re: What "must see" sightseeing in 2 days?
Save

Thanks, Swimfan! This is great as I really wanted to see Cathedral Rock and that looks like a gorgeous place to see it from.

Your photos are beautiful - thank you.

Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
78,578 posts
224 reviews
229 helpful votes
8. Re: What "must see" sightseeing in 2 days?
Save

Hiking is an option at Sedona. It is not mandatory. Take a walk along the creek at Red Rock Crossing. Ideally around sunset. Do that on Day 1. Book the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour for the next morning. It’s not about what you’ll see. It’s what you’ll hear and learn from the guide. It will enhance the remainder of your time in AZ.

Don’t miss Chapel of the Holy Cross and Tlaquepaque.

You two days will be full.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
11,439 posts
497 reviews
237 helpful votes
9. Re: What "must see" sightseeing in 2 days?
Save

CaribbeanDiana,

Agree that hiking isn't mandatory nor are any of the "must sees". Remember to relax at the end of the day and enjoy the sunsets from the balcony of your room at the Matterhorn with your guy. That will be the perfect time of day to enjoy a drink of your choice, enjoy the beauty of your surroundings, and discuss what you have seen and done that day. Sedona is a very romantic place so don't get too wrapped up in the tourism and miss the memories that matter the most. People will come on here and express their opinions and you should pick and choose those that interest you.

You asked about the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow jeep tour and we found it to be fun and adventurous, but it might not be for everyone. It goes "off road" and provides a fun way to learn about the area you are visiting. The guide usually talks about the history of the area, the vegetation and animals you might encounter. You could read it in a book or look at the surroundings while you listen to your guide give you an overview of Sedona. We laughed a lot and have great photos of us taken on the tour. We found it to be a good introduction to the area. Advanced reservations are necessary as it is popular and time slots fill up quickly. Do what is best for you.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
512 posts
39 reviews
68 helpful votes
10. Re: What "must see" sightseeing in 2 days?
Save

Thank you both!

Reply to: What "must see" sightseeing in 2 days?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sedona
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.