We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phoenix in November

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
93 reviews
Phoenix in November

Hi,

i am heading to Phoenix in November mainly to play the US Open Lawn Bowls Competition but i will have 2-3 spare days and i would like to make the most of my time there and was wondering how to get the most out of my time there.

I was looking at things like day tours to the Grand Canyon, Apache Trails etc or maybe just making the most of what Phoenix has to offer.

Any advice would be great.

John

5 replies to this topic
Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
12,011 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Phoenix in November

You can start here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g313…

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
199 posts
1 review
2. Re: Phoenix in November

The Grand Canyon is a bit tough for a day tour as it is 3 1/2 to 4 hours away. I think it's better for an overnighter because of the distance. Others may disagree. Sedona might be a better pick for a day tour.

The Heard Museum and the Musical Instruments Museum are good for in town activities as is the Desert Botanical Gardens. There are a lot of hiking opportunities as well if you're interested in that.

DeForest, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
162 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Phoenix in November

Sedona is a good day trip. As 3g said, there are a ton of hiking opportunities in the Phoenix area, including South Mountain in addition to the beautiful Desert Botanical Gardens.

More on potential hikes here: https:/…

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,898 posts
91 reviews
4. Re: Phoenix in November

GCNP South Rim is not a good day trip as it requires a lot of time on the road. I would estimate 4 hours plus stops each way. You would see far more spectacular scenery than the Apache Trail, which is over-rated IMO and scary to drive for many people.

An overnight at GCNP is best.

grandcanyonlodges.com/ 5 in park lodges, Xanterra - 888-297-2757

visitgrandcanyon.com/ 1 in park lodge - Yavapai Lodge - 877-404-4611

Tusayan: hotels in the village just outside the park (use travel site or TA)

nps.gov/grca/ park website for park information

Park lodges book up to a year in advance. Sometimes cancellations happen in park lodging and don't appear quickly on the website. If no availability on the website, call often and ask about availability. The park no longer produces a newsletter. Information about programs, shuttles, overlooks, etc. can be found on the park website. GCNP South Rim is very self-touring.

Read Top Questions at right in GCNP forum (on a PC not a phone).

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
93 reviews
5. Re: Phoenix in November

Really appreciate everyone for taking the time to help m decide what to do with my free time.

Think i will give the GC a miss and just see as much of the Phoenix area as possible

John

Reply to: Phoenix in November
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted