We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants and bars near stadium

Kentucky
Level Contributor
719 posts
9 reviews
Restaurants and bars near stadium

Hi TA friends,

We'll be coming to Phoenix on our first trip in October for the Cardinals/Broncos game. We're planning to stay near the stadium. I'm looking at the Hampton Inn and Home2 Suites right now (points.) What is close by for pre-game festivities & interacting with other fans? Walking distance would be awesome. I would prefer to stay away from chain restaurants but they aren't out of the question. We are not interested in micro breweries, specialty IPA places, or similar..... Just good old fashioned football fans, domestic beer, and food being a bonus. Thanks in advance!

7 replies to this topic
Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
12,015 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Restaurants and bars near stadium

The stadium isn't in Phoenix, it's in Glendale on the west side. There isn't much out there aside from chains. There is a large entertainment complex adjacent to the stadium called Westgate. For me, the best place there is Yard House. Aside from game days, there is nothing going on in that area, and the crowds can be unsavory.

http://www.westgateaz.com/

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,567 posts
154 reviews
2. Re: Restaurants and bars near stadium

I am guessing you are flying into Phoenix. You will need to rent a car as public transit from the airport does not exist. You can Uber or Lydt or take a Supershuttle. From the airport it is about a 40 minute ride.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
719 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Restaurants and bars near stadium

I should have clarified. Yes we are flying into Phoenix and staying in Glendale-Westgate. We'll have a car but prefer to either Uber or Lyft on game day. Just looking for a cool place to pre-game since we can't tailgate

Mechanicsburg...
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
309 reviews
4. Re: Restaurants and bars near stadium

I can second Yard House. The Westgate complex is quite convenient - I went there for a post-game meetup, and while it does boast a variety of beers, it doesn't have to be "just" a beer place. The food is good and the atmosphere is fun.

With regard to pregame activities, is there a reason you can't tailgate?

Are you a Cardinals fan? If so, my suggestion would be to befriend some other fans who are already tailgating, and see if you can join them. Even if you pick up something simple at a local store and bring it for the group to share, you will probably be welcomed.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
719 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Restaurants and bars near stadium

That is a great idea Steve G! We're very social people and I'm sure we'll make friends ;-) I'll plan a stop at the grocery before the game. I guess I'm just used to having a car/parking pass and setting up the true tailgate.

Mechanicsburg...
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
309 reviews
6. Re: Restaurants and bars near stadium

Same here. On my visit a few years ago, I had a car, as did a number of friends, so we set up our own tailgate. I'm not sure how the locals are as far as welcoming strangers, but I know a lot of Philly tailgaters (especially not way on the outskirts) are pretty nice with fellow fans. Even more so if you bring something to the table and don't look like you're mooching.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
402 reviews
7. Re: Restaurants and bars near stadium

https:/…event-map

This site will give you info about tailgating and pre game activities. Football crowds get a little rowdy by nature but hardly anything to fear!! Have fun!

Reply to: Restaurants and bars near stadium
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted