We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phoenix

Greenville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
32 posts
86 reviews
26 helpful votes
Phoenix

Late flight getting into Phoenix (arrive around 8PM). Heading to Albuquerque the next day. Hoping to feel like driving to Holbrook after we land to break up the drive to Albuquerque. What’s that drive, from Phoenix (87 to 260 to 377 to 77) going to be like at night and unfamiliar?

8 replies to this topic
Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
45 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: Phoenix

Really dark, elevation changes from 1200 ft. to 7200 ft,, and very curvy in a lot of places. I would not do it after a day of flying. It's a beautiful drive during the day so I'd spend the night in the Phoenix area and head out the next day.

Greenville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
32 posts
86 reviews
26 helpful votes
2. Re: Phoenix

Thanks so much! Just made up our minds!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
18,219 posts
95 reviews
98 helpful votes
3. Re: Phoenix

Any possibility you can change to fly into ABQ instead? I would take the Google estimate of about 6.5 hours driving to be very optimistic. Plan on more like 8 just driving plus stops. Makes more sense to me to fly to ABQ, even if there is some cost difference involved.

Greenville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
32 posts
86 reviews
26 helpful votes
4. Re: Phoenix

Long story, but Phoenix is working the best for us. Going up into New Mexico, 4 corners, page, Grand Canyon and Tombstone. Hoping we can make Taos before it gets dark. Wish us the best! Stopping briefly in Albuquerque then have to move on.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
3,448 posts
406 reviews
196 helpful votes
5. Re: Phoenix

The biggest concern about that night drive is wildlife in the road- elk or deer. Please be very careful. I hate to think of you making that long drive right after getting off a plane. Any chance you could spend the night by the airport and begin your journey the next morning. It would be much safer and you’d love the scenery!

Greenville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
32 posts
86 reviews
26 helpful votes
6. Re: Phoenix

Yes we’ve decided to stay put. Too risky for not knowing the terrain and being tired, also.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
201 posts
1 review
7. Re: Phoenix

You might try just driving to Fountain Hills or Fort McDowell so you can get a better start in the morning. That way you'll have a shorter trip and immediately be out of city traffic when you start.

Greenville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
32 posts
86 reviews
26 helpful votes
8. Re: Phoenix

Thank you. I was wondering if we could get out of town without going too far as to be dangerous travel at dark.

Reply to: Phoenix
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Phoenix