We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving dinner

Indianapolis...
1 post
Thanksgiving dinner

My granddaughter accepted a teaching job in Phoenix last year. My husband & I are going to visit her for Thanksgiving. We are all from the Midwest. This was a big decision for her & she looked at it as a new adventure. Any suggestions for a nice Thanksgiving dinner? We also hope to take her on a few day trips. Even though she has been in AZ since January, tight budget hasn’t allowed for much sightseeing. Husband & I have been to Phoenix before, but thinking of taking her to Sedona & Tucson. Any other suggestions?

4 replies to this topic
Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,905 posts
39 reviews
1. Re: Thanksgiving dinner

The major hotels will most likely all be offering a Thanksgiving dinner, so check their website around first of October and make a reservation. Also, Mimi’s Cafe offers a holiday meal, typically less pricey. Also, the grocery stores all seem to offer an all-the-trimmings fully cooked meal to go. The highest price ones would be Whole Foods or AJs, but Safeway, Frys, Albertsons and Bashas also offer. Sedona and Tucson are two good suggestions for day trips.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Scottsdale
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
103 reviews
2. Re: Thanksgiving dinner

I second the suggestions on Thanksgiving, with one exception. Mimi's Cafe does a good job and is extremely popular so it is very crowded. We have had Thanksgiving dinner there a number of times, and last year I made a reservation a month in advance. We still had a half hour wait for a table. Very, very crowded.

Also for a new teacher in Arizona, you might make a trip up to Prescott, the first Territorial Capitol of Arizona. Take in the Sharlot Hall Museum, which includes the first governor's mansion made out of logs. And, the home of the great path finder John C. Fremont, also a Territorial governor. The Mucsum is a blcok away from the Yavapai County Courthouse, which las a lovely lawn and many historic statutes. Around Thanksgiving, they might have the Christmas tree lighting at the Courthouse. Prescott is an easy drive from Phoenix..

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
199 posts
1 review
3. Re: Thanksgiving dinner

Rather than a few day trips you might try a 2 day trip at once. I'd recommend going up through Prescott via Wickenburg/Yarnell then to Jerome and then staying in the Sedona area. Then explore/shop/hike the next day and come back, for instance.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
5,262 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Thanksgiving dinner

Have a look at the Apache Trail. You don't have to do the unpaved part to still have a nice day exploring around there.

It's not really a day trip due to the driving time, but if you could get rooms at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon or in nearby Tusayan for a night, that would be a fantastic trip for you.

Reply to: Thanksgiving dinner
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Phoenix