We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

something to remember our visit

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
28 reviews
something to remember our visit

Hi all

I thought I'd tap into you for local shops for something for me and my niece. We have spent nearly a week together (I brought her down from WI for some one on one time- TR to follow) and she just told me her dad gave her $100 for us to spend on something tangible to get for each of us to remind us of our trip together.

I think we have narrowed it down to a necklace- matchy/matchy and all, or something like that.

I know Scottsdale has loads of touristy shops downtown but I was wondering if there are any good stores you'd recommend- not necessarily "AZ" style, but I'd prefer locally made.

I wish the Tempe arts and crafts fair was going on- that would be perfect. Looking for that sort of option. I'm in Tempe.

I tried doing a goodle search this am- but honestly don't even know what to type in- I am not a shopper by nature and rarely go out of my little 5 mile radius :)

9 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,351 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: something to remember our visit

I don't have any specific ideas, but in our city we have wonderful museum shops at the various museums, botanic gardens etc. Many times their stuff is affordable and locally made. Just an idea.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: something to remember our visit

that's a FANTASTIC idea- I totally forgot about the botanical museum here being so hot an all....it was not on my list at all

and- of course you have those shops.. Santa Fe is like the epicenter of things exactly like what I'm looking for! It's one of our favorite places in the country :) thanks for the tip!

Edited: 16 June 2018, 00:19
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
102 posts
3. Re: something to remember our visit

The best boutique in Phoenix, featuring numerous local artists and unique jewelry.

http://francesvintage.com/

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
12,011 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: something to remember our visit

Take a stroll down Mill Ave and buy something from one of the shops there.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,892 posts
91 reviews
5. Re: something to remember our visit

There are several shops in "Old Scottsdale" which have native art and jewelry. I would not call them "touristy." It's a place to stroll around on browse.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: something to remember our visit

thanks for the suggestions! We tried the botanic garden but they are renovating their gift shop so have minimal things on display, but we did find a few beautiful cards, one of which we will be sending to her dad with our thank you notes

We ended up in old town Scottsdale after all and found matching designs of a necklace pendant made by Zuni tribe. It was a bit painful to pay what we did, as I have purchased a number of these directly from the roadside booths on our many trips up towards Page and in Santa Fe- but we love them and I think her dad will be pleased with our choices

I totally forgot about Mill Ave- only think of that for the fairs in spring and summer... May look into that for future nieces :)

Edited: 16 June 2018, 07:14
Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: something to remember our visit

correction- spring and winter- definitely not summer

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
463 reviews
8. Re: something to remember our visit

Glad you found something your like. When we travel we like to buy prints of different area. But I must confess I buy plenty of jewelry too. lol.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
28 reviews
9. Re: something to remember our visit

Agreed! My go to is always something for the walls when traveling with hubby- just thought this was better with her this time.

Reply to: something to remember our visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted