We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't decide what area to book Hotel

Tupelo, Mississippi
Level Contributor
57 posts
65 reviews
37 helpful votes
Can't decide what area to book Hotel
Save

My family is returning for a 2nd trip this year first of October.

In March, we chose the JW Mariott Camelback Inn, and it was a perfect choice.

A lovely luxurious property. We enjoyed a 2 bedroom casita with private pool.

So, this trip we want to experience another resort but cannot decide.

The Phoenician is completely booked (not sure why) so it's be checked off our list

We loved the neighborhood and area surrounding the Camelback Inn, so we're thinking:

Omni Resort Montelucia

Royal Palms

The Sanctuary

Arizona Biltmore (Waldorf Astoria)

Mountain Shawdows

Andaz Bungalows

Or another option is to stay much farther North at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge or Westin Kierland

I've stayed at the Phenomenal Four Seasons also, so not wanting to repeat that one

We love shopping and Old Town, and some hiking so not sure what area?,

Any opinions are appreciated

14 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
8 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Can't decide what area to book Hotel
Save

You really could just flip a coin or take one if it saves a bit of $$. All are great and you will have a lovely time at any of them.

With kids, I would pick Desert Ridge, Kierland or Princess (not mentioned) for the pool amenities and options for kids.

Biltmore is large a large hotel (along the lines of a place to have a convention and probably close to 800 rooms) while the others are smaller (couple hundred rooms) with Royal Palms and Sanctuary having maybe a hundred rooms each. These are just estimates and I'm sure someone on here knows the exact number. But the point is Biltmore is very different than Royal Palms. And although your children wouldn't be ostracized, at the Royal Palms or Sanctuary, it definitely has a more adult vibe to them.

Since you have been to Scottsdale before, you know you will use your car to get everywhere. There is no one location that can provide you access to Old Town and hiking in one location.

Tupelo, Mississippi
Level Contributor
57 posts
65 reviews
37 helpful votes
2. Re: Can't decide what area to book Hotel
Save

I’m almost afraid to choose based on a great pool because it might be too cool to swim

1st of October anyway

The JW Marriott Desert Ridge definitely looks the most outdated as far as rooms go so just not sure

Thanks for your response

Maybe others will share their opinions as well

Edited: 31 August 2021, 02:56
Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
10,868 posts
473 reviews
233 helpful votes
3. Re: Can't decide what area to book Hotel
Save

I agree with the first pist

Edited: 31 August 2021, 03:02
Phoenix
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,868 posts
473 reviews
233 helpful votes
4. Re: Can't decide what area to book Hotel
Save

Post!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
8 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Can't decide what area to book Hotel
Save

LMA - I don't see anything about any of the resorts being closed.

Missy - October 1 should still be swimming weather. The end of October it would be maybe.

Tupelo, Mississippi
Level Contributor
57 posts
65 reviews
37 helpful votes
6. Re: Can't decide what area to book Hotel
Save

Ok we’ve narrowed choices down to 3. The JW Marriott is sold out due to 5 conventions Oct 7-11 so we’re left with Weston Kierland or Fairmont Princess in that area or more centrally located at the Biltmore Waldorf Astoria

Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
77,811 posts
224 reviews
229 helpful votes
7. Re: Can't decide what area to book Hotel
Save

Biltmore being central to what? What are your plans while visiting the Valley? Kierland and the Princess are effectively across the street from each other, though you would never walk between the two.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
8 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Can't decide what area to book Hotel
Save

Kierland - walking distance to the Commons/Quarter for shopping and restaurants.

Biltmore is more central to Phoenix but is it centrally located for the things you want to do?

Tupelo, Mississippi
Level Contributor
57 posts
65 reviews
37 helpful votes
9. Re: Can't decide what area to book Hotel
Save

Well as I said, we love Fashion Square and Old Town so it’s closer to those areas

Phoenix
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,868 posts
473 reviews
233 helpful votes
10. Re: Can't decide what area to book Hotel
Save

Visitors to our valley seem to enjoy swimming year round in heated pools. Part of it may be the photo ops for their friends back home. Once the temps go below 100 degrees, most locals, who don't want to heat up their pools, quit swimming.

Reply to: Can't decide what area to book Hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Paradise Valley
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.