We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scooters/ parks

14 posts
scooters/ parks
Save

I have some more questions about my trip a few moths out in December.

1. Are there any places that anyone would recommend to rent scooters, or electric bikes from?

2. If you had to only go to one would you go to Cahuita or Manzanillo Refuge (past the village of Manzanillo), and why?

- I have been to both, but this was years ago so I'm not sure I can pick based off of memory because both were so amazing. I also went to both without a guide but would you recommend getting a guide in Manzanillo? I have heard many stories about people being robbed by men with machetes here but when I went I saw nothing of the sort and like I said it was years ago. Just asking if things have changed.

as always I really appreciate any response and or recommendations!

7 replies to this topic
14 posts
1. Re: scooters/ parks
Save

Also has crime been bad in the area due to lack of tourism from covid? I saw some posts from a year ago talking about it

I went to PV twice before and would spend the entire day at the beach in a hammock (cocles, Chiquita, Punta Uva, arriecife) I would spend hours alone here and had no problems at all. I would bike from PV to past Punta Uva and never had a problem. It is an absolutely gorgeous ride..... The only time I had a "problem" was in the downtown strip coming into town from the south where I would see rasta guys trying to sell me drugs and asking if I was okay. I would just carry on minding my own business and some would follow and press harder than others. I absolutely love the area and always felt safe even after reading the stories. I was born and raised in Chicago and am not unaccustomed to seeing or hearing about crime... I have to take precautions in my own city as well, even walking home at night. I watch out while not sticking out, especially when in a country I am not from. I am taking my girlfriend who has never been to the area before and I am just asking if there are any "tactics" (bumping car, Watching until you go in the water, etc) to look out for or recent crimes?.... Just being extra cautious because I want her to love and appreciate PV as much as I do and make our stay enjoyable and safe

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
67,751 posts
141 reviews
45 helpful votes
2. Re: scooters/ parks
Save

Manzanillo is gret in your case maybe Cahuita.

Now days the main road in PV is in bad shape some road construction there...relax

I like what some local people some times mention "Welcome to PV let us be as we are...please do not try to change us !!

Nice way to see and understand people !!

Now days so many great airbandb..all over...I had been driving people a lot in the last few weeks and most of them not to hotels !!

roadadvisor

Edited: 26 August 2021, 05:04
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
20,290 posts
70 reviews
182 helpful votes
3. Re: scooters/ parks
Save

Zachary,

To answer the 1st Qn. in your original post, you can check out https://www.caribefuntours.com/banana-bikes/ for e-bikes. [Where did you rent your bicycles last times you stayed there? Do they offer scooters or e-bikes?]

2. Since you visited both the national park and the G-M Refuge, not sure why you r asking...

We could stay on the beaches in Cahuita park, and also saw much more wildlife on the self-guided visits to Cahuita NP during our stays in Cahuita than during the hours hiking in the Gandoca-Manzanillo Refuge with a local guide (We saw close to nothing with him, mostly ants, big centipedes and a couple of frogs / frog eggs in over 6 hrs of climbing slippery wet trails with standing water in places, or him stopping to talk on unrelated topics of no interest to us, waving his machete in an open clear spot to show some tricks instead of trying to find more wildlife we had previously discussed with him, well before the actual trip.... Seeing wildlife is always a matter of luck, but in comparison to what wildlife we were able to regularly observe on our own in that area, it was a very disappointing tour.) We also visited the Gandoca-Manzanillo Refuge a few times on our own, but only its front portion, due to the constant warnings from the locals about the visitors' safety. As you probably know, it has some beautiful view points.

I am sorry you were offered drugs on your previous trips to that coast. It did not happen to us during our stays there.

In CR, it is recommended not to leave anything on the beach unattended.

Re "not sticking out": You think the locals will think that you and your girlfriend are local, Costa Ricans?

Enjoy your trip.

Looking forward to your reviews of your previous and future vacations there.

14 posts
4. Re: scooters/ parks
Save

I was asking to see if things had changed and no way, Would I think the locals would think we’re locals haha. Just saying I’m smart enough to not be openly drunk or wearing jewelry etc to make myself a target or “stick out” . Just asking if anything had changed in the area since my last trip many years ago. Thanks for the info

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
20,290 posts
70 reviews
182 helpful votes
5. Re: scooters/ parks
Save

@4, OK. I thought you were also asking about places that offer e-bikes for rent there.

Enjoy your trip.

14 posts
6. Re: scooters/ parks
Save

Yes. Appreciate the link that you sent

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
67,751 posts
141 reviews
45 helpful votes
7. Re: scooters/ parks
Save

NIce that you are in a free forum...and free to ask any question...

You were asking about Gandoca Manzanillo simple answer becasue you like to ask about it !!

BTW Welcome back!!

roadadvsiro

Reply to: scooters/ parks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.