We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March vs May

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
299 posts
March vs May
Save

Hi everyone! I’m new to this board as I have just recently decided on a trip to Orange Beach, and I am now trying to decide when to visit. I know neither of my options is probably ideal, but you know how it is with juggling school and work schedules...

Anyway, our option are the last week in March or the last week in May. I would really appreciate opinions on which is better and why! We are coming from Wisconsin so I am confident that the weather will feel good to us both of those weeks. I’m assuming the ocean will still be cool in March, but I have also read some horror stories about seaweed in spring (not sure if that’s true?). Thank you in advance!!

West Hartford...
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
684 posts
36 reviews
14 helpful votes
1. Re: March vs May
Save

Last week of March is the height of the spring break season - both college and high school. However, things are relatively subdued in OB.

By the end of May, schools are out for the summer and it starts to get a lot more busy.

You'll get a better rental rate in March. And coming from Wisconsin, you will likely find the water temp to be tolerable.

Loxley, Alabama
Level Contributor
852 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: March vs May
Save

May is much better weather and water. One of my favorite times of the year for the beach. Yes there will be more crowds, but it is not bad.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
745 posts
3. Re: March vs May
Save

You have received a few good answers so far.

March rates may be more economical. However, the weather and water will be much warmer. The average temperature for March is about 67 degrees with the water temperature of about 64 degrees. In May, the air temperatures will be in the high 70's or low 80's with a water temperature in the mid-'70s. The Hangout Music Festival is the weekend before Memorial Day also if that may be a factor for your consideration.

Please stop by one of our Welcome Centers when you arrive for coupons, brochures, maps, and more information. We are open daily from 8 AM to 5 PM Central Time.

Level Contributor
816 posts
24 reviews
22 helpful votes
4. Re: March vs May
Save

I would definitely do May over March. May weather will be warm and pleasant and water will be tolerable. Yes, some schools will be starting to get out but it will not be crazy busy like in the height of the summer.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
98 reviews
71 helpful votes
5. Re: March vs May
Save

May is the way to go. The water will be warm but ithevwrarher will not be to hot. Things just start to get crowded then but not too crowded. Usually no hurricanes or tropical storm to worry about. Everything is open. Great time to be at the beach.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
299 posts
6. Re: March vs May
Save

Thank you for the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it!

7. Re: March vs May

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2020, 12:41
Get answers to your questions about Orange Beach
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.