We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel advice

MI
Level Contributor
93 posts
143 reviews
71 helpful votes
hotel advice
Save

We are heading to your area in two weeks and this morning I was reading about the tornado damage and decided to check on the hotel that we are staying at. The websight is saying that the hotel is closed due to no power.

I'm not exactly what to do now. I will call the hotels websight to get information, but I am unsure of whether we should find another place, in case people who need shelter should take our room when the hotel reopens.

Also, should we bring anything to help the people of the area? Clothes or diapers?

Thank you.

2 replies to this topic
Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
477 posts
7 reviews
15 helpful votes
1. Re: hotel advice
Save

If your going to Jasper you should be fine.

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
6 reviews
14 helpful votes
2. Re: hotel advice
Save

You will want to contact the motel directly before traveling. Jasper is very close to many areas that were directly hit by tornadoes. Some areas are not expecting power to be restored for 2-3 weeks. Also, as you mentioned, many people will be using motels because of damage to their own homes.

To help you decide if another place will be best, may I ask the purpose for your visit? If it is an activity or event in the Jasper area, you may need to plan to stay there if possible because there aren't many other options within an hour or more from there. Visiting family? May need to plan to stay with them.

As far as needs, there will be a need for many weeks (maybe months) for basic household items, bottled water, toiletries, batteries, etc. One option would be to contact the Jasper Chamber of Commerce to see what needs they know of before you leave. Here is their website with contact info: http://walkerchamber.us/

Other websites to check:

www.helpalabama.com

www.toomers4tuscaloosa.com (this site includes information on all affected areas, not just Tuscaloosa)

Reply to: hotel advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jasper
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.