We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning re: Nirula Handicrafts Bazaar

Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Warning re: Nirula Handicrafts Bazaar

This is a warning to fellow travellers who may find themselves driven to Nirula Handicrafts Bazaar in Delhi. It was the first place we went to in Delhi to buy fabrics etc - I have a business and bought over 40000Rps of fabric for sampling, with the hope of establishing future business. If you do want to buy from them, be sure to know what you're buying beforehand. Although they were friendly and hospitable, it is all for show. I bought fabric that was meant to be silk/cotton blend @600rps/mt, which is already a very high price. The fabric has turned out to be a synthetic/viscose after doing various tests. It has a very similar feeling to silk. If you're buying fabric, learn how to do the burn test and buy a small piece to test first. In future I will always do this. Also beware of the carpet zone, where they do a really hard sell, and also promise no costs and free delivery to your home. That is also a lie, as there are always duties to be paid! Very disappointing but a lesson well learned! Not everyone is dishonest, and we had mostly wonderful experiences but it is almost expected to be scammed at least once, especially as this was our first trip!

3 replies to this topic
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,362 posts
224 reviews
1. Re: Warning re: Nirula Handicrafts Bazaar

The buying and selling as a whole was not ideal on the visit to New Delhi a few weeks ago. The electronics were in line with a surplus outlet despite the huge brand name signs on the front of the building. The fabrics were of low quality and extremely expensive. I purchased beautiful scarfs in Burma last year at $5-10 US but found similar scarfs in India for $50-100 US.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Warning re: Nirula Handicrafts Bazaar

Nirula Handicrafts Bazaar is the most horrible experience that I still have in my mind and feel so stupid that I did not share with my family that I was cornered into spending 300,000 rupees from these con artists. I wish I had called the police on the con that was pretending to be my honorable guide. Yep, lessons learned and I came away with my life. I was so scared of being kidnapped by this Swindler/Con Artist that Nirula Handicrafts Bazaar send out!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Warning re: Nirula Handicrafts Bazaar

I second that - buying in Delhi was horrible and as soon as these people noticed that I am a tourist, the price hiked up to more than 1000%. Waste of time and money to go to New Delhi. Disgusting experience! Nirula Handicrafts Bazaar!! Stay away!!

Edited: 19 October 2018, 01:50
Reply to: Warning re: Nirula Handicrafts Bazaar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted