We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor Day Long Weekend

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
631 posts
45 reviews
Labor Day Long Weekend

Is Lijiang going to be flooded with internal tourists during this weekend? Am in Beijing for work and wondering if it's a good choice to tour this city.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
579 reviews
1. Re: Labor Day Long Weekend

Lijiang is such an immensely popular destination for domestic (Chinese) tourists year round, than I'm certain it will be crowded on any holiday you can think of.

Suggest it would be better to go someplace less well known and well liked. That being said, it won't be as busy as during Spring Festival and during autumn Golden Week.

Edited: 19 April 2017, 12:27
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
631 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: Labor Day Long Weekend

I am trying to think of places that's less popular. Cities I would love to visit (by myself) other than Lijiang:

Nanjing, Lhasa and Xi'an but these will all be crowded too right?

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
579 reviews
3. Re: Labor Day Long Weekend

How many days will you have? What is your level of comfort in being off the main "tourist trail?" What sort of places and things are you most interested in seeing?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
631 posts
45 reviews
4. Re: Labor Day Long Weekend

I have from May 28 to May 1st. I love history. I would love to see terracotta and the Nanjing war museum. I would love to see Tibet. I always want to go Lijiang old town. I am okay to travel out I just don't want to be stuck with the huge amount of domestic tourists...

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
579 reviews
5. Re: Labor Day Long Weekend

I'm not sure what to suggest in that time frame. Maybe someone else will have some good ideas.

Tibet requires special permits and more advanced planning than you have time for. I would forget about that.

Maybe Nanjing. Most things, such as the war memorial museum, can be seen without huge crowds if one gets an early start and goes right when the doors first open in the morning.

You might try posting a question on the Nanjing forum about the feasibility of going there for the Labor Day weekend.

Edited: 19 April 2017, 17:36
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
631 posts
45 reviews
6. Re: Labor Day Long Weekend

Thank you so much for helping. I did some research. I think i'll leave all the side trips to next time. I am only keen in touring Tibet or other cities of China and the timing is just bad :(

7. Re: Labor Day Long Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2018, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Lijiang