We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours for Tsukiji Market - Yay or Nay?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
260 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Tours for Tsukiji Market - Yay or Nay?

Hello,

Planning to drop by Tsukiji Market on my next visit to Tokyo, and have been thinking on whether or not to join a tour (not planning to go for the tuna auction).

Any thoughts on whether going with a guide is worth it? I think it'll be nice to go with someone who's experienced and have some knowledge of the place (+ can speak the local language), rather than walking around "aimlessly". I've been to Nishiki in Kyoto without a guide, and felt that it was OK - although I think Tsukiji is a whole different level compared to that place.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
The Tsukiji Market
The Tsukiji Market
5,706 Reviews
Chuo, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Japan Awaits
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips
Joyful Travel Japan
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Dokotrip
City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
17 replies to this topic
1. Re: Tours for Tsukiji Market - Yay or Nay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2017, 04:19
Edited: 12 December 2017, 04:19

2. Re: Tours for Tsukiji Market - Yay or Nay?

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
260 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours for Tsukiji Market - Yay or Nay?

Ahh.. This is new. I guess even under a tour it'll mostly be around the outer market too?

4. Re: Tours for Tsukiji Market - Yay or Nay?

Edited: 12 December 2017, 04:19

5. Re: Tours for Tsukiji Market - Yay or Nay?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
26,862 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours for Tsukiji Market - Yay or Nay?

"Since the market is very busy with trucks, forklifts, and small vehicles moving about, guests are asked to be especially careful and vigilant when they visit. Public guided-tours of Tsukiji Market are only available for groups of students (elementary school, junior and senior high school) and reservations may be made from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. There are no public tours for other visitors or in other time periods."

www.shijou.metro.tokyo.jp/english/tsukiji/

Whatever tour you join is not authorized by Tokyo Metropolitan Government.

Mentioned in this post
The Tsukiji Market
The Tsukiji Market
5,706 Reviews
Chuo, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
312 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours for Tsukiji Market - Yay or Nay?

If you mean the outer market, then I would recommend a guided tour, otherwise you will be wandering around aimlessly again as in Kyoto.

We did Context Tour of Nishiki Market. The guide explained the foods that we were looking at. There was a surcharge to cover buying whatever snacks we fancied. He did the ordering for us.

We felt that we would have missed 50% of what was going on in the market without a guide.

So, yes, go for a guide this time for the outer market. I think Context Tour also offer tours in Tokyo.

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
312 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tours for Tsukiji Market - Yay or Nay?

Yes, there is a Context Tour of Tsukiji outer market. Here's the link:

https:/…tasting-tsukiji-a-market-tour

Woodbridge, Virginia
Level Contributor
69 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tours for Tsukiji Market - Yay or Nay?

We were there last month and used a guide from TourbyLocals.com You can walk through the fish market on your own, but having a guide made it more interesting. He was able to explain what the men were doing, why women were not doing the same jobs. Things like that. He thought us to be very careful because the workers are not at all happy that tourists are there. It was a interesting experience. Be advised that the market will be closing soon to be relocated, and it is closed on Wednesdays and Sundays. There wasn't any auctioning going on, you will just be seeing the people cleaning, packing, sawing, etc.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,898 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tours for Tsukiji Market - Yay or Nay?

It's fine to visit the inner market as a casual tourist as long as you always remember to yield to the folks who work there. Don't block the aisles unnecessarily and watch for the carts. Photos are fine. In fact, many people are quite friendly. You can even buy items from there as you see fit.

I don't really think a tour is necessary. Just walk around and soak in the atmosphere. You can watch some YouTube videos afterwards if you don't want to spoil the experience, or watch them before if you want to know what you will be seeing.

I think the outer market has an even less need for a guide. It's mostly shops serving food or selling food.

Reply to: Tours for Tsukiji Market - Yay or Nay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted