We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border Crossing

Berlin, Germany
10 posts
Border Crossing

Hi,

me(german) and my girlfriend(ukrainian) both living in russia.We will travel in a week by car to Dnipropetrovsk and cross the border by Rostov on Don-Novoazovsk.

Might there be any issues on the border and eventually problems driving a car with foreign number plate(not russian) in ukraine?

Thank you for advise

Kyiv
Level Contributor
22,702 posts
322 reviews
1,088 helpful votes
1. Re: Border Crossing

And hi again :)

First of all, please, note that I have not crossed this particular point recently, so all of the below shall only be based on official reports, my estimations of the current situation and expectations thereof, not personal experience. And as such, I can prove right or wrong.

According to Ukraine state border guard service, considering continued efforts by Russia agents provocateurs to destabilize certain East Ukraine cities, enhanced border control has been introduced on all crossing points of Ukraine – Russia border.

They include these: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294473-i3662-k7377867-Temporary_Enhanced_Control_on_Ukr_Rus_Border-Ukraine.html

So no matter what your license plate and passports are, you can most probably expect long lines at the border due to the slower check process as well as additional scrutiny to your car, personal belongings and, quite possibly, identity. Please, be understanding of all these measures – hostile destabilising efforts are too essential at the moment.

Given that Donetsk oblast and Mariupol rayon in particular were among those areas where occasional unrest was provoked recently, you can also expect additional police check-points on the borders of Donetsk and Dnipropetrovsk oblasts. But the biggest hassle because of these would most probably be the slow-down of your movement.

Other than that, I do not expect any problems solely in virtue of the fact that you drive a car with a foreign license plate. I can see many of these driving along Ukraine roads now.

Just make sure you don’t carry any items forbidden by Ukraine customs rules, or large volumes of cash currency.

Have a safe trip.

Edited: 10 years ago
Kyiv
Level Contributor
22,702 posts
322 reviews
1,088 helpful votes
2. Re: Border Crossing

Browsed some local road travel forums and it’s reported that roadblocks were established, in particular, on Dinpropetrovsk – Zaporizhzhya road.

There were the same all around Kyiv this Feb, but as I said, no problems with these, just a slower movement because only one lane is left to pass through.

Berlin, Germany
10 posts
3. Re: Border Crossing

Thank you Cora for detailed informations!

4. Re: Border Crossing

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Donetsk
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.