We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ubud to Airport

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
30 reviews
15 helpful votes
Ubud to Airport
Save

Hi all.

I would like to spend our last day/night/half day in Ubud. Flight leaves at 11pm at night. I've been told it's not a good idea to stay so far away from the airport with a departing flight. Thoughts? Google maps shows it as anywhere from 1 to 2 hour drive ( traffic dependent)

Is there another risk that could stop us from being at airport by 8pm? (3 hrs prior)

Thank you xx

4 replies to this topic
coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
12,706 posts
62 reviews
97 helpful votes
1. Re: Ubud to Airport
Save

We always go to the airport from Ubud for a late night flight, have done so maybe 30 or more times. Never had an issue. We allow 1.5 hours for travel + the 3 hours before flight time to check in. So leave our hotel 4.5 hours pre flight time. If your hotel is well north of Ubud, perhaps allow an extra 15 minutes.

We left at 3.30pm for an 8pm flight a week before Xmas and arrived at the airport at 4.50pm in spite of quite heavy traffic.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
220 posts
30 reviews
15 helpful votes
2. Re: Ubud to Airport
Save

Thank you. I must say I was a bit surprised by people saying it wasn't a good idea. I've not been to Bali but we've stayed in many countries where it's been at least 1hr drive to the airport.

I wondered if maybe there was some cultural or strange animal parade that may randomly occur preventing us from reaching the airport! Lol

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
33 reviews
114 helpful votes
3. Re: Ubud to Airport
Save

Most of the concern is regarding slow moving traffic.

This is not an issue with your flight time.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta Region, Indonesia
Level Contributor
16,488 posts
125 reviews
144 helpful votes
4. Re: Ubud to Airport
Save

Hmm...I'm surprised also at the advice people may give about going from Ubud to the airport. It's only about one hour to 90 minutes unless there is a really unusual thing happening. I remember once the presidents of the USA (President Obama who is wildly popular here), Indonesia and another country were making an announced trip to Ubud and I had a flight leaving early afternoon. We decided it would be horrible traffic so left 2.5 hours for the trip and make it in about 1.5 hours.

It may also be that people saying this dont' really know where Ubud is located and think it's somewhere much further away or in difficult topography or are even just repeating what they hear or read somewhere else. The only thing I could think of is if your flight leaves on the night before Nyepi March 22 when there are indeed parades going on. But those are usually not blocking major roads to the airport so it shouldn't be an issue.

But in any case you will be perfectly fine...enjoy the end of your trip in Ubud!

Reply to: Ubud to Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ubud
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.