We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why did Celebrity Flora skip Puerto Ayora on Sat. 8/28/21 ?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
8 helpful votes
Why did Celebrity Flora skip Puerto Ayora on Sat. 8/28/21 ?
Save

The Flora skipped both towns on their inner loop itinerary ... Puerto Ayora & Puerto Baquerizo.

3 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,459 posts
18 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: Why did Celebrity Flora skip Puerto Ayora on Sat. 8/28/21 ?
Save

Dear Cubbivan,

who did you book your cruise with? I suggest you ask them - they took your money, they should answer your questions.

I suspect that the "town visits" have been eliminated from itineraries in an effort to reduce contact between visitors and residents, thus reducing the chances of any COVID transmissions. But best to ask your agent.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
8 helpful votes
2. Re: Why did Celebrity Flora skip Puerto Ayora on Sat. 8/28/21 ?
Save

I booked directly with Celebrity........we're scheduled for the 11/26/21 inner loop. I see that covid has been spiking recently in Ecuador, but the Galapagos residents, crews, & passengers are all 100% vaccinated. It seems that the people manning the Celebrity Galapagos desk are not made aware of itinerary changes. I have not been able to get any answers from them............Thanks..........Rick

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
4,459 posts
18 reviews
21 helpful votes
3. Re: Why did Celebrity Flora skip Puerto Ayora on Sat. 8/28/21 ?
Save

This is characteristic of Celebrity. It always astounds me that they charge so much for a cruise, but can't provide front line staff who know very much at all about the destinations they serve.

Very recently, some Delta variant cases were detected in Galapagos (3 cases). Last week, the government announced stricter Galapagos entry requirements (starting 1st Sept) in response to that (you'll need to be fully vaccinated AND to have passed a PCR test). I suspect that keeping visitors away from residents as much as possible is part of that response.

While Galapagos towns might offer some distractions (I lived there for 4 years), take solace in the fact that it's not in the towns that you'll experience what Galapagos is all about. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a Galapagos town and a similarly sized town on a Mexican coastline.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Reply to: Why did Celebrity Flora skip Puerto Ayora on Sat. 8/28/21 ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Ayora
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.