We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Information about new rule for clothing at Angkor Wat

merseyside
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
92 helpful votes
Information about new rule for clothing at Angkor Wat
Save

We visited Angor Wat and discovered new rules about what you can wear to view the 3rd level. They had an official at the stairs to the 3rd level making sure everyone had their shoulders covered by wearing tshirts/shirt/jumper. If you had a strappy top/bare shoulders you would not be allowed up, even if you covered up with a scarf or a wrap. Our guide found out this rule had started on 1st Nov, and was because some people would cover up with a scarf at the bottom, then when they got to the top, would take it off again.

We saw lots of people being turned away, even when they offered to cover up. The Guides did not seem aware of this new rule. We did not see this rule being enforced at other temples.

My advice would be if you are wearing a sleeveless top, take a tshirt to put on before you get near the 3rd level.

I hope others find this helpful!

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
6,030 posts
98 reviews
81 helpful votes
1. Re: Information about new rule for clothing at Angkor Wat
Save

Thanks for that. My first visit is coming up in December and I would hate to have been turned away.

Happy travels!

Trisha

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
73 reviews
27 helpful votes
2. Re: Information about new rule for clothing at Angkor Wat
Save

Trslly glad to hear of the new ruling

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
79 reviews
72 helpful votes
3. Re: Information about new rule for clothing at Angkor Wat
Save

Pleased that they are enforcing it too, we were there at end of Sept and l was allowed up tot eh top as l had my Krama wound abotu me, my sister had a singlet top and short, shorts on (we'd had the discussion, she thought l was loopy) and they would not let her up the top, shooed her away as if she was about to contaminate the place, the look on her face!!!!!

So l understand the rule, l would never disrespect their temples and always have my shoulders covered even for other temples, even when not required, in the eye's of ANY God l am not doing the wrong thing (Karma is powerful) and want to be respectful to the Khmers.

This is a good thing and thank you very much for reporting for further travellers.

Kurashiki, Japan
Level Contributor
16,161 posts
90 reviews
126 helpful votes
4. Re: Information about new rule for clothing at Angkor Wat
Save

Bear in mind there is a similar dress code for the Royal Palace in Phnom Penh.

This is pretty much common sense for entering any active temple and palace throughout Southeast Asia, by the way...

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
9,276 posts
48 reviews
54 helpful votes
5. Re: Information about new rule for clothing at Angkor Wat
Save

In regards shoes, is there any guidelines as well for temples and the palace i.e. no trainers? Just want to make sure that I don't miss anything.

Colorado
Level Contributor
2,373 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Information about new rule for clothing at Angkor Wat
Save

No rules on shoes - but would suggest something fairly sturdy. We wear Keens or Tevas - sneakers (trainers?), I think, would be very hot.

Kurashiki, Japan
Level Contributor
16,161 posts
90 reviews
126 helpful votes
7. Re: Information about new rule for clothing at Angkor Wat
Save

I second Keen hiking sandals. Straps on back keep them from falling off and are also good for treks...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
113 reviews
258 helpful votes
8. Re: Information about new rule for clothing at Angkor Wat
Save

I'm not sure if it started that recently as we ran into that rule in mid-October when we visited.

As explained by our tour guide, the rule was instituted after a male tourist fell down the really steep stairs. Apparently he was really distracted by the young lady with the short shirt that was going up the stairs in front of him. He said that they put in the rule just for that area and nowhere else (ie, no other temples, and not other parts of the Angkor Wat) for that reason. Who knows though.. Maybe he was kidding but I don't think so.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
187 reviews
197 helpful votes
9. Re: Information about new rule for clothing at Angkor Wat
Save

Our guide passed on the dress rules to us the day before we went to the temples. This was very early Oct, so the rules aren't all that new. Knees and shoulders covered; no hats. Applies to both male and female.

It's only enforced for entry to the highest points of Angkor Wat. Every other temple we visited seemed to have no dress code. Footwear isn't a problem. We wore Keens, and with the amount of walking and climbing, were glad we did.

As Maneki-neko mentioned, use a bit of common sense when visiting temples, and show respect for local beliefs and you'll be fine. Other side of the coin is that it gets very hot climbing temples, and the urge to dress in as little as possible is very strong.

Edited: 9 years ago
Italy
Level Contributor
39,912 posts
253 reviews
213 helpful votes
10. Re: Information about new rule for clothing at Angkor Wat
Save

Thanks for the update, I'm glad they are enforcing the dress code, it's a question of respect.

Get answers to your questions about Siem Reap
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.