We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I bring Levothyroxine and vitamins without prescription?

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
26 reviews
25 helpful votes
Can I bring Levothyroxine and vitamins without prescription?
Save

Hello, I take Levothyroxine daily for an under-active thyroid. I have read on a few websites that I need a prescription or letter for my doctor to bring them into Dubai? Is this the case?

I am also 8 weeks pregnant and taking a pregnancy multi vitamin, do I also need a prescription for this too? We are travelling from the UK. Thanks for your help in advance!

2 replies to this topic
Canary Islands...
Level Contributor
38 posts
47 reviews
23 helpful votes
1. Re: Can I bring Levothyroxine and vitamins without prescription?
Save

From experience, the vitamins would not be a problem. We take them with us every time we go and have never had a problem.

Not sure about the Levothyroxine though. I take this too, but have it on a prescription and never have a problem taking it into Dubai.

Do you not have a prescription for this as I thought you could not get it over the counter in UK.

It is only the really strong medication that they have a problem with, but if you have a prescription or Doctors note for them they seem to be a bit more lenient.

Hope that helps

AA
Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
10 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Can I bring Levothyroxine and vitamins without prescription?
Save

@KellyandSeb

Levothyroxine unfortunately is a medication that a very large number of people take around the world. Many countries INCLUDING the UAE sells levothyroxine over the counter without a prescription.

If you have paperwork from your physician documenting your condition or the paperwork from the actual purchase of your meds, just bring them with you for just in case you run across an over zealous security member.

I've bought lots of vitamins and meds into Dubai and not one time they ever looked at them.

But, I can confirm Dubai pharmacies sell a variety of medications and misc solutionss that don't require a prescription like it might in other countries.

I take levothyroxine too and you can get it in Dubai. I've asked before while I was there at the pharmacy called LIFE. It's cheap without any insurance or prescription. Just as cheap as it down here in Mexico.

Maybe this will help somebody else that might run out of their medication and save them from thinking they will have to go see a doctor in Dubai to get their meds.

Reply to: Can I bring Levothyroxine and vitamins without prescription?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.