We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent an apartment

Mic
Level Contributor
54 posts
Rent an apartment
Save

Is it difficult to rent an apartment in Bucharest?

When I came a few years ago, it was really really easy.

But now there is a new law and need to sign an ANAF contract and I have heard most owners ask the tenant to pay for it (around 25%).

Is that true?

If you are living in Bucharest, what is your experience?

I plan to live in Bucharest but if the rent is 25% more, I might change my mind, even though I already booked my tickets.

Edited: 29 August 2021, 19:25
18 replies to this topic
Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
10,844 posts
1. Re: Rent an apartment
Save

Hi,

It's still very easy if you are renting long term for at least one year (or at least if you claim to do so). As a foreigner you might be quoted higher prices.

Registering rental contracts with ANAF is not mandatory. What is mandatory is that the owner declares his rental income to ANAF and pays taxes for it; as far as I know they're fairly low, under 10%, definitely under 25%. Some owners will try to pass on these taxes to you, but this usually happens for higher end apartments. For lower or middle-end apartments it's usually included in the price or not even mentioned (since their owners don't intend to pay taxes).

A less common reason to register the rental contract with ANAF is because that way it can be used as an enforceable contract (if you don't pay the rent or damage the apartment it makes it easier to garnish your income and distrain your goods). Again, this is mainly used by higher end apartment owners.

Mic
Level Contributor
54 posts
2. Re: Rent an apartment
Save

Thanks for your answer!

I just want to pay the regular price I see for a studio or something (250-280 euros). Not in the center of course.

I already lived in Bucharest I was paying 250 euros, it was 2013 or 2014. I only signed a contract and the apartment owner was really nice.. They didn't ask me to pay more (just the utilities, etc).

I should be safe even if I don't sign an ANAF contract? I ask this because I have heard a lot of owners were forcing the tenants to pay the taxes.

Are taxes bigger for foreigners or something? I am from France.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
10,844 posts
3. Re: Rent an apartment
Save

If you can get in touch directly with the owner and you know the general price in the area, then yes, it should be fine. If you go though rental agencies they will try to steer you to more expensive options, but again if you do know the price and stick to it, it might work.

Rental prices haven't gone up that much since 2014, although it varies by area. Other expenses have increased, especially in the past year, and will likely continue to do so.

There is no special ANAF contract; after you sign a generic contract, the owner may or may not register that contract with ANAF, it's his/her choice. The contract is valid even if it's not registered with ANAF but it's less enforceable; generally speaking, you are safe even if it's not registered.

The tax for rental income is effectively 6% (10% * (100% rental revenue - 40% deductible expenses)), i.e. for a €280 monthly rent it would be about €17/month. Usually this would be included in the €280 price or ignored, but some owners might indeed require from the beginning that you to pay those €17 on top of the €280. If you don't want to pay it separately then you'll need to find another rental that doesn't require this.

Obviously if they want 25% extra instead of 6% it likely means they want to rip you off.

Taxes are the same for everybody, locals or foreigners. But anyway you wouldn't be paying this tax directly, it's on the owner.

Edited: 29 August 2021, 21:55
Mic
Level Contributor
54 posts
4. Re: Rent an apartment
Save

Thanks, that sound very very good!

I was kind of worried for my trip, but now everything is fine.

I talked to one agency, they seem very polite and reputable (they have a lot of apartments).

I prefer to go through an agency, I don't mind paying 50% of the first month. And I can negotiate to have a good price.

They said they can find such apartments in sector 6.

So hopefully I find something nice there for my budget.

Thanks again!

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
10,844 posts
5. Re: Rent an apartment
Save

It's OK then.

As a personal suggestion though, unless you absolutely have to, don't rent in new residential areas located at end of the world especially if they don't have a metro station within walking range. I'm pointing this out because there are such areas at the western end of sector 6, but also on other edges of the city.

Mic
Level Contributor
54 posts
6. Re: Rent an apartment
Save

Thanks. Anyway I want near metro station only. And I will always check if there are a lot of restaurants with Tazz app haha

Mic
Level Contributor
54 posts
7. Re: Rent an apartment
Save

And I just want to quote where I got the info from in case you want to check:

"The problem happens mostly when you look for your apartment. Especially if the rent is under 350 eur including tax, we must prepare ourselves.

If we try to apply for a resident permit in Romania, the lease agreement must be registered at the local tax agency called ANAF. It means tax and social insurance will be put on the top of the rent, which ends up being about 25% of the rent. Most of the owners under 350 eur would want the tenant to cover it. Besides, most of those owners don't want to be involved with ANAF. Then what happens ? owners cancel the meeting in the morning of concluding a lease agreement, or tell the tenant a lie that it's tenant's obligation to register it at ANAF, or knock on the door at the first night after moving in, and show the tenant only the last page of a secret new contract to force the tenant to sign."

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=845685

But of course I think they got of info wrong, first of all I know for sure you can find a good studio for 250-300 euros because I have already been in Bucharest and prices haven't changed much.

Plus I actually like the areas that are not in the center, it is more comfortable but there are still a lot of shops and supermarkets which is what I need the most oh and a metro station.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
10,844 posts
8. Re: Rent an apartment
Save

If you are an EU citizen you don't need to apply for a residence permit, you only need to register yourself in Romania (by filling a form + your ID/passport + some proof of your purpose here).

For people that would need to show an ANAF registered contract for some reason but the owner wouldn't want to register, I could see why it would be a problem. Still, the taxes mentioned are too high.

And yes, the rental prices there are on the middle/high end.

Mic
Level Contributor
54 posts
9. Re: Rent an apartment
Save

I am french and I use my french passport.

That sounds good. But you are 100% sure about the info you give me?

Mic
Level Contributor
54 posts
10. Re: Rent an apartment
Save

And proof what can it be? I just want to live there because I like the country lol

Reply to: Rent an apartment
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bucharest
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Hong Kong. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.