We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ski gear - cheaper on sale in australia or wait til japan?

Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
ski gear - cheaper on sale in australia or wait til japan?

Hey, just wondering if anyone is able to advise, is the ski gear cheaper in japan? i have been told that it is cheaper but is all in super bright colours..... can you get normal looking jackets and pants or would it be better to purchase them here in perth before we leave?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-)

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,620 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ski gear - cheaper on sale in australia or wait til japan?

Will you stop in Tokyo first. There is a large grouping of ski shops near Ochanomizu. The range and colours are the same or similar to what is available at home. Don't forget to factor in the currency exchange rate.

However, if you can't stop in Tokyo or Sapporo and are going direct to the snow resorts, it may be safer and cheaper to buy at home.

Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ski gear - cheaper on sale in australia or wait til japan?

yep, will be stopping in tokyo first so might wait til we get there, i am only 5ft so struggling to get pants short enough for me here in perth! thanks heaps for the advice :-)

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ski gear - cheaper on sale in australia or wait til japan?

If you have a good place to buy ski gear in Aus, then I would recommend you do that. Gear is Japan is generally Asian sized, which means proportions are smaller. Large size boots will be hard to find. Also with JPY at about 83, there are no bargains.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,620 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ski gear - cheaper on sale in australia or wait til japan?

here's some information under Shopping:

wikiski.com/wiki/…Shopping

The surplus store referred to, has a small sign "London Sports".

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ski gear - cheaper on sale in australia or wait til japan?

I think the bright colors were big in the 1990's, no??? I bought my ski jacket here 2 seasons ago and it is not bright and I don't see too many bright ones in the shops so you can find normal colors here. I was in Northface 2 weeks ago and they had a sale going on. I did actually see some bright colors now that I think of it but most were normal.

Winter bargain time is/was this month so the prices are down. Not sure when you will be here so it is hard to predict what you will find when you come here. I got a great jacket for 70% off at a ski shop here and friends outside of Japan liked it when they saw it on me during my ski trip this month. The regular prices are much higher than the USA but when the sales are going on, there are deals to be had. I can't compare to the prices in Australia.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,620 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ski gear - cheaper on sale in australia or wait til japan?

For most goods, Australia prices can be double US prices (my snowboard boots were $180 online in US. AU price is RRP $420 - with a sale price $360).

7. Re: ski gear - cheaper on sale in australia or wait til japan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2012, 18:33