We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What part and where to stay in Kyoto

Los Angeles...
14 posts
Save Topic
What part and where to stay in Kyoto

My wife and I are going to Japan for the first time this week. We will start in Tokyo for about 4 days and then go to Kyoto for 3 or 4 days - take a day trip or two from there. We are open to Western or a Japanese style hotel or apartment. Our budget is 80,000 - 120,00 yen a night. A little more if it includes meals etc. We do not plan to have a car but will have a JR pass.

So... What part and where to stay in Kyoto are my main concerns. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Buddy

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
913 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What part and where to stay in Kyoto

There is a wide range of places to stay and the experts will no doubt lead you to the best links soon enough.

Our family trips there have used the Kyoto Tower hotel which is brilliantly located close to Kyoto Station and the bus terminal, with the metro station and a range of shops underground. A walk from the station and a great base for touring using public transport.

Not the highest standard in the rooms but we could not fault the experience. Staff obliging, western and Japanese food in the restaurant.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What part and where to stay in Kyoto

I think that your Yen needs correcting.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,859 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What part and where to stay in Kyoto

Check the hotel reviews in the Kyoto Hotels section of this website. I agree that your nightly budget might have a typo.

Los Angeles...
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What part and where to stay in Kyoto

Opps you re correct. I mean 8000 to 12000 yen.

Buddy

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,714 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What part and where to stay in Kyoto

hi, you might check Toyoko Inn shijo-Karasuma, I found it well located close to subway station and in a lively area.Unfortunately they did not have no-smoking rooms available at my dates so I stayed at Tokyoko inn Gojo Karasuma: www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00053/index.html

Toyoko hotels have small and basic rooms but are comfortable and clean.

Los Angeles...
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What part and where to stay in Kyoto

Thanks Huow, I'll check it out.

Ontario
Level Contributor
449 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What part and where to stay in Kyoto

I recommend this one, also on Shijo: http://karasuma.kyotohotel.co.jp/english/

Hotels close to Kyoto Station are not to close to anything except Kyoto Station. The Karasuma is near many of Kyoto's top attractions, and is exactly within your budget. Check the Tripadvisor reviews.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What part and where to stay in Kyoto

In 2004, we stayed at the Gimmond Hotel. It was nice and centrally located and near subway stations. There's a listing for the hotel here.

9. Re: What part and where to stay in Kyoto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2010, 13:18