We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'semi double' rooms

London, United...
Level Contributor
432 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
'semi double' rooms

I have seen a number of semi double rooms available whilst searching for hotels - are these double beds big enough for 2 people?

Durham
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'semi double' rooms

They're sort of half-way between a single and a double. I think they're mostly aimed at single people. I don't recall staying anywhere where the bed was smaller than one of these semi-doubles. The rooms they're are in won't be very large, especially in lower cost hotels.

United States
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'semi double' rooms

In most cases, what "semidouble" refers to is when a hotel allows two people to share a room that is designed to be sold as a single. A lot of hotels (including some fairly upscale ones) offer both semidoubles and doubles, with the doubles being a larger room and usually having a larger bed. Typically, the hotel will apply the semidouble classification to their largest-size single rooms. (So in other words, they take their most expensive single room, put two people in it, and call it a semidouble.) This isn't always true, but it's pretty typical.

The bed size (width) usually ranges from 120 to 140 cm, depending on the hotel. (I've seen a few really cheap hotels that sell rooms with a 110-cm wide bed as a semidouble, but such narrow beds are starting to go out of style in newer business hotels, so they are not that common.) If the bed is 160 cm they almost always call the room a double room and not a semidouble.

Sometimes you can find the bed dimensions online if you search hard enough (it's more likely to be posted on a hotel's Japanese site than their English page). Because there is considerable difference between 120 cm and 140 cm in terms of how comfortably the bed will accommodate two people, it is worth trying to find out. (In some cases you can e-mail the hotel and they will tell you.) In my personal opinion, 140 cm is adequate for two average-size adults; 120 is just too narrow (it would maybe work for two very small adults, or one adult plus one child).

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 'semi double' rooms

The semi-double beds I've slept on seemed equivalent to or only slightly bigger than a US-standard twin bed which is about 1 meter wide.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,166 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'semi double' rooms

Semi-doubles are pretty much glorified singles. The bed is bigger than the small single but not by much. It is also usually placed flushed against the wall to give more space to the room. Even two petite people have to sleep quite close together.

If you are two average-sized Westerners, putting two in the same semi-double bed could be uncomfortable.

Nishinomiya, Japan
Level Contributor
78 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 'semi double' rooms

Depends on the city also.

My wife and I were comfy in the Semi-double in the APA hotel in Kanazawa, but the Semi-double at the APA hotel in Toyko was barely big enough for both of us.

6. Re: 'semi double' rooms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2010, 14:21