My wife and I along with two boys (10 and 13) will be visiting Japan this December. This is our first time moving around by ourselves in Japan. We have already book the hotels at the various locations we'll be visiting. Here's is our high level itinerary:
- 12/21/2017: Arrive Tokyo (stay @ Shinjuku)
- 12/24/2017: To Hakone (stay @ local losen)
- 12/25/2017: To Kyoto (stay @ Higashinotoin-dori)
- 12/29/2017: To Osaka (stay @ Dotonbori)
- 01/01/2018: Back oo Tokyo (stay @ Shinjuku)
- 01/04/2018: Depart for Los Angeles
Given the above, we are trying to figure out the best way to travel between the locations. Knowing it will be around the peak holiday season, I want to make sure we get it planned out. We will try to reserve as much as we can online. So, I need some comment/advise on:
1. From/to Narita airport to Shinjuku, should we take the NEX or Limo Bus? Any other suggestions?
2. For NEX, I think you can buy two round trip. Does it make sense to do that?
3. In Tokyo, should we buy SEICA pass for getting around?
4. Plan to take RomanceCar from Shinjuku to Hakone (Yamato Station). I read that you need to buy the RomanceCar ticket and than buy a "standard" ticket. Not sure I understand.. can someone explain? Anyway to reserve all online?
6. In Kyto, does it make sense to buy train or bus pass? If so, which one?
7. Sites for make reservations?
Sorry to ask so many questions. We are very excited about the trip. Yet, having to arrange all these transportations make it very daunting.
Thanks in advance.