We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong Visa Requirements - What You Need to Know

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,415 posts
6,241 reviews
Save Topic
Hong Kong Visa Requirements - What You Need to Know

If you have questions related to visa requirements for entering Hong Kong start by reading this TripAdvisor wiki article for Hong Kong Visa Related Matters (see link)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294211-c216036/China…

Here you will find a catch-all resource with links to various HK Immigration and related sources that will spell out your personal visa requirements for entering, visiting and traveling through Hong Kong.

This article is current as for September 2015. It will be updated from time to time as new and updated sources of information are made available.

50 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,415 posts
6,241 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hong Kong Visa Requirements - What You Need to Know

SHORT CUT - If you simply want to know visa requirements and allowed # of days you can stay in Hong Kong based on your nationality (see link) to the HK Immigration Department website PART II (Section 12)

immd.gov.hk/eng/…visit-visa-entry-permit.html

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,415 posts
6,241 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hong Kong Visa Requirements - What You Need to Know

SHORT CUT - What documents do I need to support my stay in Hong Kong?

See link - Part II (Section 5) for a brief description of documents, evidence of funds and onward departure out of Hong Kong.

immd.gov.hk/eng/…visit-visa-entry-permit.html

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,415 posts
6,241 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hong Kong Visa Requirements - What You Need to Know

WHAT ABOUT MACAU AND SHENZHEN

Note that Hong Kong has separate immigration departments to Macau and Shenzhen (China). As such, if you intend to visit Macau or China, you will need to determine different and separate visa requirements to your entry, stay and/or visit to Hong Kong.

-------------------------------------

Visits to Macau

Macau has similar visa entry requirements to Hong Kong. See the following link to visa matters for Macau (see link)

Macau Visa Matters - What You need to know!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g664891-i12409-k77…

-------------------------------------

Visits to Shenzhen or onward into China

Shenzhen visa requirements fall the jurisdiction of the China Immigration Department. Unfortunately, rules change from time to time and information on international websites is often outdated. Start here for a helpful TripAdvisor resource on crossing the boarder into China

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294211-s602/China:Cr…

For additional information regarding how to visit China, visit the TripAdvisor China Travel forum and post any questions you have there. See link if helpful

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g294211-i642-China…

------------------------------------------------------

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,415 posts
6,241 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hong Kong Visa Requirements - What You Need to Know

PHILIPPINE PASSPORT HOLDERS - SEE HERE

If you are a Philippine national (passport holder) seeking to visit Hong Kong, please read the links in the original post as well as the Pinoy Exchange - The Ultimate Guide to Hong Kong (see link).

www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php…

The above resource has been helpful for travellers from the Philippines over the past few years.

Mumbai, India
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hong Kong Visa Requirements - What You Need to Know

Hi,

I will be visiting Hong Kong this month for 14 days. I am planning to visit Macau during the first weekend in Hing Kong. Will there be any immigration issues when I come back to Hong Kong? Also, on my second entry how many days of stay will be permitted to me?

Thank you

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,415 posts
6,241 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hong Kong Visa Requirements - What You Need to Know

Om_Mumbai,

A.) Post 1 link provides the following under Part 2.12 [Indian - 14 days]

B.) Post 2 link provides link to Macau immigration which states similar information. No pre-arrival visa require for Indian Nationals. When you exit immigration at the ferry terminal, you will conclude your first stay in Hong Kong, ending your 14 day visa.

C.) When you return to Hong Kong from Macau, you will be issued a new and separate 14 day visa. It isn't a continuation of your first visa which was finished when you left Hong Kong for Macau. When you reenter Hong Kong, it is a separate visit so you will be issued a new, 14 day stay.

Mumbai, India
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hong Kong Visa Requirements - What You Need to Know

Dear BradJill,

Thank you for your reply.

It was very informative and useful.

I just wanted to make sure that there will be no immigration issues on my second entry to Hong Kong.

Thank you.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hong Kong Visa Requirements - What You Need to Know

as long as there were no issues with your first entry I cant see that there will be any issues with subsequent ones. I have been back and forward to HK many times over last 15 years and have never experienced any issues

Mumbai, India
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hong Kong Visa Requirements - What You Need to Know

Thank you steve_ben2004

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,415 posts
6,241 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hong Kong Visa Requirements - What You Need to Know

WHAT IF MY PASSPORT IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE?

Linking a recent thread asking about visits to Hong Kong with a passport set to expire within the next 6 months.

tripadvisor.com/…70283869

Reply to: Hong Kong Visa Requirements - What You Need to Know
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted