We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong's best areas for dining

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,157 posts
143 reviews
Hong Kong's best areas for dining

A frequently asked question about Hong Kong is the dining options. I have included some information here for general reference.

1) Fine Dining- Most fine dining in Hong Kong can be found in 4 star to 5 star hotels such as Peninsula, Grand Hyatt Hotel, Island Shangri-la, Langham Place, Langham Hotel, Marco Polo Hong Kong Hotel, Sheraton, Intercontinental, New World Renaissance Hotel (Tsim Sha Tsui and Wan Chai).

( There are many places for fine dining in Tsim Sha Tsui, Central (soho), Causeway Bay as well.)

2) Family Dining- For those with young children. We have American style restaurants like Dan Ryan's, Ruby Tuesday, Hard Rock Cafe. McDonalds, KFC, Yoshinoya are everywhere as well. There are also many good food courts around.

3) Cheap eats- Mongkok area, around Ladie's market. Lots of street eateries, but as a tourist, I would be very careful in experimenting these foods, try if you have a good travelling/tourist stomach.

4) Dim Sum is a must try in Hong Kong. There are many restaurnants to try authentic dim sum. Prices ranges from $ 8.00 a dish to $ 50 a dish depending on what type of restaurant, and what time of day you dine.

5) Seafood- Lei Yu Mun, and Sai Kung are two popular areas for fresh seafood. Many restaurants of course also serve delicious seafood as well.

The prices for food/dining ranges widely in Hong Kong, it all depends what you want to eat, where you want to eat, and what time of day you want to eat. Many restaurants offer "tea time" specials afer 2:00pm, so many locals wait until this time to eat their lunch !

If you have further questions, please post in the Hong Kong Forum.

614 replies to this topic
Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,354 posts
17 reviews
71. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

i'd like to recommend Lin Heung teahouse for an authentic dimsum experience. great dimsum at a pretty affordable price.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,221 posts
171 reviews
72. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

Some good noodle places (as requested in another post):

Some of the best ones are the HK style cafes you see with the noodles cooking station viewable from the streets. Some places I could think of:

Ho Hung Kee (2 Sharp St East, Lee Theatre at Causeway Bay very close to Times Square).

Lotus Garden (63 Sing Woo Road, Happy Valley)

Kau Kee (21 Gough St, Sheung Wah, closed on Sundays and public holidays)

Mak's Noodle (77 Wellington St, Central)

Hang Fa Lau (9 Lock Rd, TST, and various other locations)

Yuen Kee (18 Granville Rd, 35-37 Hai Phong Rd, 12-14 Humphreys Rd, 14 Science Museum Rd, all in TST)

Various Tsui Wah locations

Hong Kong, China
2 posts
73. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

I will go to murder mystery next Sat.

they host the show in Marco Polo HK.

It is a little bit expensive.. but still is fine dining in Marco Polo!..

so .. i think it's worth for trying...

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
140 posts
993 reviews
74. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

all us Canucks are eyeing on the New York Fries store in TST hehe... :)

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
75. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

Hi All....

4 friends from the same office are planning a trip to Hong Kong in March 2009.

We would like to know where we can get some cheap stay so as to spend more on the sights. Pls advice.

Also where can first time visitors try out the food there.

Pls help.

Thanks in advance

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
76. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

Besides tsimshatsui and mongkok and central, you could also try Kowloon city for good food. That is where many hong kong people go for cheap and good food of all sorts, THAI food, VIETNAMESE, etc.

Just take the MTR to KLN city station.

Also you should try the HOTPOT, that's very popular all year-round in hongkong, some of the best places would be

Fong Wing Kee Hot Pot Restaurant

Hau wong road 85-87 kowloon city

or on hong kong side

yau gwat hey hotpot

415-421 jaffe road, causeway bay

phone : 852 2366 3377

India
Level Contributor
19 posts
77. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

Elgin Street/Peel Street in Soho and Tsim Sha Tsui are my most favorite places to dine with friends or family.

Advisor justluxe

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
78. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

Thanks to All for the info provided above.

I sure would like to try out the Hot Pot and Dim Sums.

Could you please advice which are the Hot Pots & Dim Sums with respect to Chicken and/or Vegetables that I could have. Apart from being cautious we would also like to taste the authentic food of China / HKG.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,221 posts
171 reviews
79. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

Cantonese style hot pot is usually about seafood (various shellfish, fish balls), dumplings and beef. Chicken is generally not used. Veggies (tofu, vegetables) and noodles are eaten but it's like an afterthought.

For dim sum, anything you get is authentic here locally so it's just a personal preference. If you want to focus on chicken, just ask the restaurant for the chicken dishes.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,157 posts
143 reviews
80. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

thanks Sammyfloyd for keeping this thread going ! I had no idea how active this post was still so active!

Reply to: Hong Kong's best areas for dining
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted