We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong's best areas for dining

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,154 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Hong Kong's best areas for dining

A frequently asked question about Hong Kong is the dining options. I have included some information here for general reference.

1) Fine Dining- Most fine dining in Hong Kong can be found in 4 star to 5 star hotels such as Peninsula, Grand Hyatt Hotel, Island Shangri-la, Langham Place, Langham Hotel, Marco Polo Hong Kong Hotel, Sheraton, Intercontinental, New World Renaissance Hotel (Tsim Sha Tsui and Wan Chai).

( There are many places for fine dining in Tsim Sha Tsui, Central (soho), Causeway Bay as well.)

2) Family Dining- For those with young children. We have American style restaurants like Dan Ryan's, Ruby Tuesday, Hard Rock Cafe. McDonalds, KFC, Yoshinoya are everywhere as well. There are also many good food courts around.

3) Cheap eats- Mongkok area, around Ladie's market. Lots of street eateries, but as a tourist, I would be very careful in experimenting these foods, try if you have a good travelling/tourist stomach.

4) Dim Sum is a must try in Hong Kong. There are many restaurnants to try authentic dim sum. Prices ranges from $ 8.00 a dish to $ 50 a dish depending on what type of restaurant, and what time of day you dine.

5) Seafood- Lei Yu Mun, and Sai Kung are two popular areas for fresh seafood. Many restaurants of course also serve delicious seafood as well.

The prices for food/dining ranges widely in Hong Kong, it all depends what you want to eat, where you want to eat, and what time of day you want to eat. Many restaurants offer "tea time" specials afer 2:00pm, so many locals wait until this time to eat their lunch !

If you have further questions, please post in the Hong Kong Forum.

600 replies to this topic
stockport
Level Contributor
541 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
581. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

A lot of the posts look old here......we are visiting in October. I would like to try some local food.

Suggestions please for good food in a hygienic place.

Staying in Sheung Wan but will also be visiting Kowloon. Here for 3 days

Thanks

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
582. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

@stockport1965 - Tai Hing is my favourite place in Hong Kong for local food and reasonable prices. Try the roast pork rice and an ice cold milk tea! If you have space, the sweet and sour pork is also good - note that they don't offer this at every restaurant. Tsui Wah is also a popular local restaurant which is reasonable - I particularly like their breakfast set here (served before 10:30am only) which is beef satay noodles, scrambled egg and a soft bun for 36 HKD or so. Cafe de Coral is fast food style but is also a local chain. All these places are a little more pleasant for travellers who may not be used to the "dai pai dong" or "cha chaan teng" style of some local Hong Kong places.

You may also encounter some hole in the wall type places whilst exploring Hong Kong, try the curry fishballs - classic snack! If you pass by bakeries, try the pineapple bun / egg tarts. Little egg waffles is also popular, you will see them dotted around too.

stockport
Level Contributor
541 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
583. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

msg84 - thanks, will have a look at those. Have been watching a lot of youtube videos to get ideas. The egg tarts and curry fishballs are a must for me! I looked at Lin Heung Teahouse but I don't think thats for us. I want to order what i want, not have to fight to get it off the trolley :-)

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
584. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

@stockport1965 - Lin Heung Tea House is really popular and there is always a queue to get in. It's hectic in there and isn't for the faint of heart. If the carts are slow to come out with fresh food, you will be shoving your way in between people and tables to fight for food! People can get rude! There are plenty of other places in Hong Kong with dim sum (a must try) where this is not necessary!

Dim sum wise, make sure you try - Sieuw Mai (pork prawn dumpling), Har Kouw (prawn dumpling), Siu Loon Pau (pork based dumpling), Cha Siew Pau (roast pork bun) and Loh Bak Go (pan fried turnip cake) among many others!

Note that a lot of dim sum restaurants will offer cheaper/discounted dim sum if you arrive, eat and pay your bill prior to 12/12:30pm.

Hong Kong also has "tea time" between 2-5pm where some restaurants will serve a set snack/drink that is only available at this time, keep an eye out!

13 posts
Save Reply
585. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

would like to ask if the Jumbo Kingdom Floating Restaurant is one of the recommended restaurant (good food and good services) in HK

Thank you

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
3,097 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
586. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

No, Jumbo is a tourist trap. Avoid it. There are hundreds of better restaurants in Hong Kong.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
145 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
587. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

hope this is the right place to post this.

One if my favorite dinners was in Vancouver back in maybe 1999. No idea the name of the place but it was a Chinese Seafood restaurant. The star of the dinner was a Alaskan King Crab picked out of a live tank and cook and served in if i recall 3 or more ways.

I recall one dish was garlicy and another had some black bean to it. it as served deep friend and also i believe stir fried and also steamed. Dinner was pricey but so worth it and so good.

With a lot of Seafood places in HK. Anyone have a suggestion that could serve something similar?

I told a shot in the dark via google and came up with this place Star Seafood in Yau Ma Tei

https://www.openrice.com/en/hongkong/r-star-…

With a lot of Seafood places in HK. Anyone have a suggestion that could serve something similar?

Thank You!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,722 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
588. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

Most Cantonese restaurants can offer something like this. For mid-range places, look into chains like Ho Choi, Choi Fook, Sportful Garden, Star of Canton, and even Jade Garden or any of the Maxim's Group ones.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
145 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
589. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

thanks sammy... i look these up.. would you recommend other places that are maybe a notch up in quality and price?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,722 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
590. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

Some top tier restaurants that aren't hotel restaurants:

Fook Lam Moon

Seventh Son

Fu Sing