We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong's best areas for dining

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,118 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Hong Kong's best areas for dining

A frequently asked question about Hong Kong is the dining options. I have included some information here for general reference.

1) Fine Dining- Most fine dining in Hong Kong can be found in 4 star to 5 star hotels such as Peninsula, Grand Hyatt Hotel, Island Shangri-la, Langham Place, Langham Hotel, Marco Polo Hong Kong Hotel, Sheraton, Intercontinental, New World Renaissance Hotel (Tsim Sha Tsui and Wan Chai).

( There are many places for fine dining in Tsim Sha Tsui, Central (soho), Causeway Bay as well.)

2) Family Dining- For those with young children. We have American style restaurants like Dan Ryan's, Ruby Tuesday, Hard Rock Cafe. McDonalds, KFC, Yoshinoya are everywhere as well. There are also many good food courts around.

3) Cheap eats- Mongkok area, around Ladie's market. Lots of street eateries, but as a tourist, I would be very careful in experimenting these foods, try if you have a good travelling/tourist stomach.

4) Dim Sum is a must try in Hong Kong. There are many restaurnants to try authentic dim sum. Prices ranges from $ 8.00 a dish to $ 50 a dish depending on what type of restaurant, and what time of day you dine.

5) Seafood- Lei Yu Mun, and Sai Kung are two popular areas for fresh seafood. Many restaurants of course also serve delicious seafood as well.

The prices for food/dining ranges widely in Hong Kong, it all depends what you want to eat, where you want to eat, and what time of day you want to eat. Many restaurants offer "tea time" specials afer 2:00pm, so many locals wait until this time to eat their lunch !

If you have further questions, please post in the Hong Kong Forum.

Smooth Ride Bike Tours Hong Kong
Night Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bike Tours
TramOramic Sightseeing Tour
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips
Hong Kong Private Guide
Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours
578 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

Would generally agree with Kate on this quick guide.

However, would add a category called smart casual dining that are mainly standalone restaurants, often in the same block offering international cuisine.

In Tsimshatsui, Kowloon - try Knutsford Terrace - 30+ restaurants / bars

Hong Kong Island - Central - Lan Kwai Fong - not just an area for clubs and bars but equally as many smart casual restaurants.

Soho has a wonderful village feel that's almost mediterranean in some ways - three or four streets of great ideas just above LKF.

There are a few private kitchens that literally are small owner run places which are a unique part of the local culture. They are often tucked away on the higher floors of commercial / residential buildings in central and causeway bay.

One other thing.... check if your credit card has any deals... quite often... a lot of cards like Amex Platinum do deals. Would also suggest you check Asiamiles.com - they have some good places listed.

Seoul in Korea
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

I agree with you too.

You have to try Dim Sum.

But that's better that you check what kind of dimsum is delicious

before you eat.

Some can not good for you.

but i think most of them are very fine and the price is so reasonable

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

As you said, there are times through out the day where there are specials. I am looking at casual dining.

For instance,

What time of the day (and what day) is the cheapest to go for dim sum? Do they have happy hour?

Many restaurants offer tea time specials, are you referring to Cha Chan Ting or bigger restaurants (that serves dim sum and seafood)?

Do you know when and where I can try "smelly tofu"?

Is seafood better at "lamma island" or at sai kung? How about prices, which is cheaper?

Also, I heard of a Large Shrimp, called "peeing shrimp". Where can I try it? Is it seasonal? Also, how much is it? (It's sold by kg, right? So, how much per kg?)

Thanks in Advance!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

"smelly tofu" can be bought at many of the street food stalls around mongkok/ ladies market area.

Large Shrimp/ "peeing shrimp" is sold in many seafood restaurants, but I would suggest you go to Sai Kung and try one of the many seafood restaurants there by the waterfront. You basically go to the fish sellers and pick and choose your live peeing shrimp (and other live seafoods) from the tanks - and they will cook it for you in their kitchen/ restaurant next door - you can't beat the freshness of the seafood! Good early as it can get very busy with locals, eps. the weekends!

Hong Kong
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

in relation to the bit about discounts, another great option is to check out Good Times. They offer 50% off discounts and buy 1 main, get 1 free deals to nearly 100 different places. it tends to focus on the major dining areas already mentioned (LKF, Wan Chai, TST, SoHo).

check out www.goodtimes.com.hk

if it happens to be monday or in some cases sunday, you can take advantage of asiaxpat's super monday promotions - buy 1 main, get 1 free.

see www.asiaxpat.com

Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

heard that there is one authentic chinese in Temple Street. Often seen in moives. with stairs leading to 2nd storey and ceilling fan? Any idea of its address or name?

And any good suggestions for Dim Sum? Have tried BP International, Concourse Hotel and the one opp Wong Tai Sin already, all not bad. Any others?

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

Can anyone recommend a casual restaurant with outdoor seating in Tsim Sha Tsui for family (young kids) dining. Western or Asian Food OK.

Hong Kong
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

Knutsford Terrace is pretty good for outdoor dining in Tsim Sha Tsui.

You can also get www.silverblackcard.com and get discount at some of the restaurants located there.

leeds, uk
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

god ...only just stumbled across this site via my sister.

best dim sum for me... chain wise is *doa heung* they're all over the place, from tsueng kwan O, to mong kok...be prepared to queue though, but normally your seated withen 10-30 minutes

the other is bamboo garden on kimberly road TST, as im from uk, i find this place nice and cheap, but for hong kong people, they may find it expensive, they do the best fried pigeon.

also tucked away in tei mei tuk resort (get off at tai po train station, getmini bus to tai mei tuk ....go to tai po outside toilets) a italian restaurant called luca

Hong Kong, China
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hong Kong's best areas for dining

I recommend Elgin Street/Peel Street in Soho for dining.

Boca is a chic eaterie for with Tapas to share.

Olive is a fantastic greek/ meditereanean restaurant

I also highly recommend The Brunch Club on Peel Street for Brunch

and Shu Ju Hu for modern Chinese Cuisine.

You can get addresses and phone numbers here.

Reply to: Hong Kong's best areas for dining
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted