We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong or Shanghai?

Laval, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Hong Kong or Shanghai?

Hello!

So I have a layover in my trip to the south of Asia, and my options are either Shanghai or Hong Kong. I will be laying over in Beijing on the way back home.

In both scenarios I arrive in the early evening/late afteroon, at 4:30pm in Shanghai, and 5:40pm in Hong Kong.

I want to know which is best for an evening layover, we'd go grab supper and walk around to get a feel of the city, visit some landmarks or wtv else is a must do, grab a drink, etc.. We would basically be looking for the most Chinese culture shock possible (as in we dont want to just feel like were in any big city like back home) , and we'd like it to be as simple of a night in terms of getting around and seeing the "must see".

So what we would like:

-The most Chinese feel

-Quick to get around, or major things to do are close together.

Thanks!

13 replies to this topic
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,859 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: Hong Kong or Shanghai?

With either city, you won't feel like just a big city back home. In terms of the "most Chinese feel", I actually think HK fits the bill a little better. HK is more crowded than Shanghai, seems more vibrant at night.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
221 posts
110 reviews
2. Re: Hong Kong or Shanghai?

At both places it will take 45 min to get to city. I think taxi at both places is your best way to go. It depends what you like in terms of crowd and atmosphere. Shanghai is more 'Chinese' than Hong Kong. Also mainly it depends on how much time you have. There are several options for see city in few hours to few days in Hong Kong. As you have layover, you are not going to be there for more than a half day. Your choice...

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
14,183 posts
63 reviews
3. Re: Hong Kong or Shanghai?

Hongkong. More reliable schedules, China airports are not as reliable, late afternoon flights are worst. PVG airport is very far away from Shanghai, TWOV is very iffy, they may not allow you to leave airport. HKG is far more pleasant and efficient.

Laval, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Hong Kong or Shanghai?

We are spending the night, as our flight is the next morning in both cases.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
14,183 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: Hong Kong or Shanghai?

Search and read about those on TWOV not allowed to leave airport, Canadians, with hotel bookings. They spent the night in airport.

California
Level Contributor
4,182 posts
335 reviews
6. Re: Hong Kong or Shanghai?

Hong Kong....for reasons cited on your Shanghai posting.

Hong Kong, China
12 posts
7. Re: Hong Kong or Shanghai?

Hong Kong - transport is more efficient, there are enough sights to see in a small space/small time frame. You could do the peak, Victoria Harbour/star ferry, night markets and good food around markets in 1 night pretty comfortably. It won't feel like any city back home.

California
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: Hong Kong or Shanghai?

For a one night layover, do Hong Kong. Assuming you don't have a visa for mainland China, it will just be a more straightforward exit from the airport than you may be faced with doing a transit and leaving the airport in Shanghai, with plenty to do for the night in Hong Kong.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
271 posts
155 reviews
9. Re: Hong Kong or Shanghai?

I’d agree - Hong Kong has a great “centre” feel, easy transport on the Airport Express to/from the Airport. Shanghai’s great, but HKG is better!!!

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,258 posts
170 reviews
10. Re: Hong Kong or Shanghai?

Definitely Hong Kong

Reply to: Hong Kong or Shanghai?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted