We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong taxi Drivers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
535 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hong Kong taxi Drivers

Last day of our Hong Kong 7 day family holiday. We have had a great time and have found the people to be helpful and polite, always offering my wife and young daughter a seat on the mtr etc.

However i must say Hong Kong taxi drivers are the most rude and abrasive people i've come across. They lose their sh#t and whine like little children if the trip you are after doesnt suit them....and thats if they accwpt your trip and dont just knock you back in the first place. We used taxis a lot as we found it convenient and cheap from our hotel. We had numerous long trips and short ones and generally we were treated in a negative manner. It was pretty much the only negative of the trip but it really did put a downer on a holiday, especially when you got this treatment firat thing of the morning

Mentioned in this post
Hotel ICON
Hotel ICON
#3 of 728 hotels in Hong Kong
Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
#5 of 728 hotels in Hong Kong
Cordis, Hong Kong
Cordis, Hong Kong
#8 of 728 hotels in Hong Kong
14 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hong Kong taxi Drivers

that's why so many people using Uber services despite it's illegal in certain extent.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hong Kong taxi Drivers

HK taxis are infamous, frankly all taxis are nasty anywhere, try San Francisco or New York. The really nice ones in Japan are way to expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
58,425 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hong Kong taxi Drivers

Taxi drivers come in all sorts. I usually have average to pleasant experiences. The less pleasant ones generally have smokey/dirty cars, or they drive with a lead foot on both the gas and the brake. I had a very nice one recently taking me and an elderly relative. He was extremely polite and mindful of an older person in his cab.

NYC cabs are worse than HK though the strong enforcement of the taxi commission means cabbies tend to follow the regulations better.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
892 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hong Kong taxi Drivers

you won't find a more entitled bunch of moning minnies anywhere in the world. These guys regularly turn down fares that don't suit them (which is illegal and you can report them to the police) and then protest about how Uber is taking their business.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
6,001 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hong Kong taxi Drivers

"frankly all taxis are nasty anywhere, try San Francisco or New York". Mac, I must of been lucky. My most recent trip to both San Francisco and New York, I had some very helpful taxi drivers.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hong Kong taxi Drivers

Standard taxi trick at SFO is, once they picked up customers, they go to the gas station to add $5 of gas, while the meter is running. Couple times I told drivers not to do that, I’ll add $5 tip, but they still did it.

Your revenge is while you play and have fun, they are prisoners of a tin box they rent from greedy taxi owners, they will never get rich to escape the tin box prison no matter how they cheat, hell on wheels in toxic fume.

Their only salvation is Uber, when they can drive their own car anytime anywhere and be their own boss, but they are too dumb to know it. Most Uber drivers are former taxi drivers, they have to be nice to earn Uber 5 stars.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
535 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hong Kong taxi Drivers

Navy35 i must have been lucky in SanFran as well, they were fine. The ones in NYC were more tyan fine, they were very helpful and loved a chat.

I agree with the positive reviews of Uber. At home in Sydney its the only way to go now, prompt service and cars are always immaculate

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hong Kong taxi Drivers

Totally agree. Rude drivers and smelly interior aren't the worst. Some taxi driver won't even open the door unless you tell them where you wanna go first, and they let you board if they are en route there. It's almost like hitchhiking, except you need to pay. A lot of news also suggest taxi drivers over-charge tourists a lot in touristy districts, like tsim sha tsui or LKF.

Oh yes, and have you watched the video "Hong Kong taxi driver threatens passengers with metal bar"? watch?v=MS3TF0VU_ZA

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
139 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hong Kong taxi Drivers

You should see taxi drivers in Guangzhou!

We've had drivers, after we've flagged them down, either snort at us for daring to want to go in a direction they're not going, or just drive off without a word after telling them where we wanted to go.

Best one was a driver who was on his phone the entire time to a friend of his swearing and cussing in Hakka, I guess he figured we only spoke Cantonese/Mandarin, but, I'm Hakka Chinese, and he went red after I spoke in Hakka when we were dropped off.

In Hong Kong, we don't take taxis that often, but they seemed generally OK to me. Though one time, some friends got into a taxi and asked them to take them to "xxxx" (I can't remember where they were trying to get to), the driver did right turn, and stopped about 50 feet from where they were picked up. Beautiful. :D

Now, in Bengaluru, where I went on a recent business trip, maaaaaaan, every single Uber driver we hailed refused us every single time, until we told them we'd add a little extra to their fee...

Mentioned in this post
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
44 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hong Kong taxi Drivers

As a Hongkonger, I don't like HK taxi drivers too. Most of them are impolite. Some are greedy pretending that they don't know the way to your destination and asking how you would like to go such that they could get more by going an indirect route.

Reply to: Hong Kong taxi Drivers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted