We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with itinerary with children in Hong Kong...

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
7 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with itinerary with children in Hong Kong...

We will be in Hong Kong for 4 nights from the end of March and plan our plans are:

spend a day on Lantau Island at Buddha/Cable Car,

a day at either Disneyland or Ocean Park,

a day on Cheung Chau Island and

a day in the city exploring.

We have 2 children aged 7 & 12 and having trouble working out the itinerary for the day in the city? We will be coming from our accom on Lantau Island. Where should we get the train to start our day? What are must sees for children? Any advise on this itinerary is greatly appreciated! :-)

15 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,522 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with itinerary with children in Hong Kong...

Where are you staying on Lantau? The train only serves the airport, Tung Chung and Disneyland. If you are staying in Discovery Bay, it's a different story.

Check out discoverhongkong.com for ideas. The Peak, Star Ferry and a ride on the ding ding tram are some of the top things. You can also visit museums such as the Museum of History, the Science Museum, the Museum of Coastal Defense, etc. depending on their interests.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with itinerary with children in Hong Kong...

Hey, I'm taking my 12 year old this April. Hong Kong Science Museum looks excellent for Children

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
708 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with itinerary with children in Hong Kong...

Sarah, this article may bring u some idea:

https:/…

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,952 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with itinerary with children in Hong Kong...

Lantau is not a convenient place to stay for a tourist. You have quite long travel times to get to the city, or to Disneyland (unless you stay at one of their hotels - and you'll find yourself in the middle of nowhere after the park closes).

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
7 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with itinerary with children in Hong Kong...

Thank you for all of your suggestions, they have been very helpful! We are staying at Novotel Citygate on Lantau which I believe is central to the cable car/Buddha and Disneyland. We can also get a ferry direct to Chaung Cheu from there. We only have one day left which we plan to go into the city and explore so we decided Lantau would suit us better than staying in central Hong Kong. We are thinking that our day in the city will include The Peak tram, Star Ferry and Science Museum but that great article that RingL posted is full of more adventures if we happen to fit more in our day! Thanks!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with itinerary with children in Hong Kong...

Er, no - there's no ferry to Cheung Chau from Tung Chung. There's a ferry from Mui Wo a few times a day, but it takes longer to get from Tung Chung to Mui Wo than it does to get to Central.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with itinerary with children in Hong Kong...

You can take a ferry ride from Tung Chung, but only to Tuen Mun (which is most emphatically NOT tourist central) or Tai O.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
949 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help with itinerary with children in Hong Kong...

OP,

Don't miss the ferry ride between the mainland and HK Island, it's very cheap and also time well to watch the light show on HK island, best seen from the Star Avenue promenade(where there is a Bruce Lee statue) or the ferry boat. It's short but free and spectacular.

Hopefully someone can fill in the timings.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
708 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help with itinerary with children in Hong Kong...

worldtravel2015

I guess the "mainland" u meant is Kowloon.

But We, hongkongers, regard mainland as the Mainland China

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
949 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help with itinerary with children in Hong Kong...

#9,

Yes, I mean peninsula side. I am not sure the Star ferry is located inside or outside Kowloon and I am not sure how big is Kowloon.

Thanks for the notice, now I know.

Reply to: Need help with itinerary with children in Hong Kong...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted